Crappy wifi speed from Actiontec Router
Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got a new Lenovo Laptop equipped with 802.11 ac wifi card. The best speed I can get is 20 mps download and 30+up.  My other laptop , an ASUS I got al least 40 mps download with an 802.11 N wificard.  Why can't this router get at least the same download and upload speeds as the other wifi card got.  I thought the N was backward compatible and I would get at least the same speeds and not such a large slow down.  I have 100/100 mps service and didn't get close to that on either laptop with wifi and my router is only about 6 foot away.  I don t feel like paying Verizon $ 200 for their gateway router.  It's over priced from what I hear.  Any advise or comments?

0 Likes
Re: Crappy wifi speed from Actiontec Router
jonjones1
Legend

It makes no difference on what your router is capable of signal wise.

the laptops must have the same technology so in the case of the Lenovo AC should downgrade from that to N. However the WiFi cards many times are not capable of connecting at that standard.

verizons Quantum Gateway Router is crap. It has terrible WiFi. Then again Verizon and any service does not guarantee WiFi. Only a direct connection to the router via ethernet. And using their own test site. No others are accepted.

you could buy your own router and simply go with that for internet only. If tv and phone are included you can still use your own router but a different set up.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple questions...Are you getting full speed on a wired ethernet connection? Do you have TV service? 

Like previous poster said you could get your own router but if you have TV that is a different situation. The Actiontec you have depending on the model you have is either 2.4 GHz wireless N or G. 

I would say if the router is still good hard wired you could just disable it's wifi and connect a wireless AP to it. Netgear has a model WAC104 which is dual band 2.4/5 GHz with wireless AC for $50.

0 Likes
Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have phone, Cable TV, and internet fios with Verizon.  I never got very good wifi speeds even with my old Asus 802.1 N's wifi card.  Testing with ethernet I get about 100/100.  I would have thought I would still get the same speed with the Wifi Ac, but I guess not. I was getting .5mps when I first set it up.  I called Verizon and they didn't know what to do so they called Actiontec and they advised me to go to my router and uncheck WMM.  After I didn't this my speed increased to about 20 Mbs which was a lot better than .5mps.  Im thinking of a 3rd party dual band router.  I found on the internet all you have to do is call Verizon and tell them to switch you to ethernet instead of cable and connect to the ONT box with an Ethernet cable. Supposedly they will do it over the phone.

0 Likes
Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the Actiontec M1224WR rev 1 router and it is 2.4 ghz 802.11 N and would like to get my own router and stop paying Verizons monthly fee. I've read people have returned their router to Verizon but they still keep billing them for it even though they complained several times.  So far my experience with Verizon has been good with equipment installs an support.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even though the laptop has AC the router doesn’t so it’s limited to N. Since you have TV and the router is good I would go the Wireless AP router. You can get a good wireless AP that’s dual band 2.4 and 5 GHz for under $100. 

If you get your own router you have to run ethernet from the ONT and you will also need a MoCA adapter to hook up to the new router you purchase. 

Some benefits of going with a WAP is easy configuration. All you need to do is plug it into a LAN port. And if you ever change routers you won’t have to reconnect any devices like wifi printers, laptops or tablets. 

Gage5
Enthusiast - Level 3

I appreciate your advise. Im Mulling over what to do.  I want the speed I'm paying for or close too it.  I'm hesitent to try to do it even though I think I can do it with some of the instructions I've seen posted here and on the net.  IM not paying $200.00 Verizon want for their Guantum Gateway Router.   I've heard its not all that good.  Dont know for sure, but its just to pricey for me, and I'm a long term customer of Verizon.

0 Likes