Create incoming VPN with Westell A90-9100EM15-10
STEPHAN2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I an not a VPN expert.

I want to create an incoming VPN connection from my Windows 7 Notebook to my network at home.

I am under the impression that the option

Internet Protocol Security Server (IPSec Server)

Enable secure connections to Wireless Broadband Router from other locations, using private and public keys for encryption and digital certificates or shared secret for authentication

would enable me to create a connection from an external client ro the Westell.

Is this correct ? I was not able to get it working.

If not, any other way to create an incoming VPN connection ?

Thanks

Stephan

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Create incoming VPN with Westell A90-9100EM15-10
STEPHAN2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all your help.

Before I go down this route, I would really like to know if the Westell 9100 can be the Server for a VPN Connection.

It would be great if anybody has data on this, as the manual really does not tell anything.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where is that done in the admin pages?  I can't find any documentation on it in the user manual.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

if you're setting up the rules in the westell then you should be using the pre-configured ports in the port forwarding rules. 

If you use the preconfigured L2TP and PPTP it will automatically build in GRE and it will work, sometimes if you try to manually build the two in, the GRE won't build and the vpn won't work.  so use the pre-configured

STEPHAN2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your answer Sorry, as I have NEVER worked with VPN I do not know what to do. (I am pretty experianced with internet connections in general, but not at all with VPN.)

Under Network Connections - New Connection - Advanced Connection, it gives me the following options:

Choose your connection type:

Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE)

Connect to the Internet using a PPP tunnel over the Ethernet protocol.

Network Bridging

Connect separate network interfaces to form one seamless LAN.

VLAN Interface

Connect to an external virtual network.

Internet Protocol Security (IPSec)

Enable secure transfer of data to another location over the Internet, using private and public keys for encryption and digital certificates or shared secret for authentication.

Internet Protocol Security Server (IPSec Server)

Enable secure connections to Wireless Broadband Router from other locations, using private and public keys for encryption and digital certificates or shared secret for authentication.

Internet Protocol over Internet Protocol (IPIP)

Enable transfer of data to another location over the Internet, using a non-encrypted virtual private network.

General Routing Encapsulation (GRE)

Enable transfer of data to another location over the Internet, using a non-encrypted virtual private network.

I have not found anything regarding PPTP. Anyhnts were I would find that in the settings ?

I want to use an external W7 Notebook to connect to my local router and than have him via VPN on my local Network. I though that IPSec Server might be the function for this in my router. Is this really possible or do I need an VPN Server (like my workstation).

Thanks for your help.

Stephan

0 Likes
STEPHAN2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to make it very clear, the W7 Notebook will of cause always have different IP addresses as its used while traveling.

If necessary a DYNDNS is set up, but I assume its not needed.

Stephan

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@STEPHAN wrote:

Just to make it very clear, the W7 Notebook will of cause always have different IP addresses as its used while traveling.

If necessary a DYNDNS is set up, but I assume its not needed.

Stephan

It would make sense to have DynDns installed on your Westell router as it will make it easier for you to connect from your laptop.

If I undertsnad correctly, what you want to do is to connect to your internal network behind the Westell router via a VPN connection?

I don't believe the Westell router is capable of being a VPN server so you would have to establish the server on a device on the internal network.  Having set up the VPN server on the internal network you would then go into the admin pages of the Westell and select Firewall Settings.  Then select port forwarding from the tabs on the left.  Go to the bottom of the existing port forwarding rules and slect New Entry.  Specify the VPN server IP address for local hostand then select the requisite protocols from the drop down next to protocols, probably that wil be PPTP (port 1723), you may have other ports, probably IPSEC (ports 500, 50-51), if so add them too.  You do not need to change any of the other settings, just say ok.

To set up a device on your internal network as the VPN server is OS dependant though basically it just involves going into network connections and creating a new incoming connection.

For XP do

Start, setting, network connections

Select New connection and next

select Set up advanced connection and next

select accept incoming connections and next

don't select anything on next window, just next

Select allow Virtual Private connections and next

Select users you want to allow and next

Highlight tcp/ip and select properties

Set the rules for how you want the incoming connections to have an ip address - if you specify a range then make sure it is on the correct subnet for where the vpn server is

Select next

select finish

I have never done this but it should work.

Maybe somebody else on this board knows if the VZ routers support a VPN server natively?

STEPHAN2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all your help.

Before I go down this route, I would really like to know if the Westell 9100 can be the Server for a VPN Connection.

It would be great if anybody has data on this, as the manual really does not tell anything.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The answer to your question is "no".   The router can not act as a VPN termination device.   It can be configured to allow outbound traffic to flow which supports creating a VPN connection (i.e. the IPsec passthru information) and it may be capable of being configured to allow inbound IPsec traffic to be forwarded to a specific device / server inside your network, but it can not be a VPN server itself nor a client for that matter.

Now, before I get in trouble with the "Terms of Service" gods, just let me say that running a "server" on a residential connection is not permitted per your terms of service.   So if that's your intent, I would urge you to review your requirements and/or consider a business class of service.

I would urge you to check out LogMeIn's Hamachi product.   They have a free version for non-commercial use which allows you to quickly and easily build a private network of up to 16 devices and a pay version which can do many more.   It's handy for those gaming sessions which require all the computers to be on the same "network" in order to find each other and function.   It's a cloud based VPN service, so there is no "server" component on your end which should keep you clear of any "terms of service" trolls.

STEPHAN2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all the information.

And no, I do not want to run a server at home, I have own  servers in multiple locations.

I just want to create an environment for my wife were it does not matter if she is home or elsewhere with her notebook.

0 Likes