Re: Curious
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@FiosandApple wrote:

I have the FIOS router and pay for 25 meg speed but attached it to an Apple Airport router which now gives me 55 meg. (I didn't believe it when the Apple guy at the store told me I would but he was right).

I just connected the new router (in this case Apple) to the FIOS one.  I had 2 wifi then at my house but turned off the one from the FIOS router.

What you're reporting is near impossible.  The only way that could happen, you paying for 25 mb/s and getting 55 mb/s, would be if Verizon made a mistake in provisioning your account.

There's no way the Apple Airport can give you speeds greater than FiOS has you provisioned for.

0 Likes
Paul3x16

Can you let me know how you did this please cause I'm going nuts trying to figure it out. {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@optivity wrote:

"There are a several VZ port forwarding rules set in the VZ router that you should forward from your router to it if you set it up this way, the rules are for support access, phone caller id etc."

I haven't tried using the Remote DVR or Caller ID features with my Linksys --> Actiontec MoCA Bridge set up.

Are you saying the default port forwarding rules are listed by the Actiontec's IOS or are they documented somewhere perhaps?

You'll find the rules at the top of the port forwarding rules under the Firewall settings on your router.  They are all the ones that do not have a delete checkbox.  They normally start with the verizon backdoor access to the router which is marked as 

localhost
Verizon FiOS Service
Tcp Any -> 4567
All Broadband DevicesActive
0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@Predator wrote:

@viafax999 wrote:

@Predator wrote:

I am using Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 as secondary Router with new Quantum 1100,connected Lan port of Fios Router to Wan port of Netgear Router,I used Static IP 192.168.1.2 on NG Router and Dynamic IP for Fios Router

You'd cut out the extra hop by having your ont converted to ethernet (was posted earlier in thread how to do it) and  then make your router the primary and the VZ router secondary via a lan-wan connection with the VZ router configured as a moca bridrge instead of as the gateway (also discussed earlier in thread)  There are a several VZ port forwarding rules set in the VZ router that you should forward from your router to it if you set it up this way, the rules are for support access, phone caller id etc.

whats the bennefit that way over my option?What do you mean cut out extra hop?

you'd cut out the hop from the verizon router to your router.  It's only a fraction of a second but by having your router as primary and the verizon router as secondary you save all those fractions of seconds for evry packet destined to your workstations.

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@Paul3x16 wrote:
Can you let me know how you did this please cause I'm going nuts trying to figure it out. {edited for privacy}

gs0b attached the link earlier that describes how it is done

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes