Custom Install Questions
DeepEnd17

So, I'm a previous Fios customer. I'm thinking of getting a Fios internet-only service. I do have a competitor's service installed in my home as of right now (cable/phone/ internet package).

Short-term goal is to have a separate internet connection for myself for work/gaming/homelabbing while being able to control and set up my own network. This is something I can't do with my current service. I also cannot move away from my current service (for now).

My questions are as follows:

1. Can I have Fios service installed while another service is in place?
  2. Can Fios run over Coax? I have a coax run (from outside) going into the room I want the service installed.
  3. Follow up to #2 - what's the highest speed I can take in this setup?
0 Likes
Re: Custom Install Questions
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can certainly have FiOS installed along side another service.

FiOS works off of fiber, not coax.  The fiber is run to an optical network terminal, or ONT, installed at the premise.  ONTs are installed inside whenever possible now with the fiber routed inside via a hole in an exterior wall.  When an indoor install is not possible, the ONT will be installed outside but it's power supply stays indoors.

A router connects to the ONT.  The preferred connection is Ethernet.  Coax can be used to a Verizon router, as they have a MoCA WAN port.  MoCA WAN is limited to 100Mbps.  But Verizon doesn't really like to install MoCA WAN anymore, so you may not even be able to get it.

Right now some installs are delayed due to COVID-19.  Verizon techs are not doing any inside work.   Depending on the status of any FiOS equipment in your home, you may be able to get a self install.  Post some details about what is there and folks here can guide you.

0 Likes
DeepEnd17

In that case, that eliminates the need for a modem. 

A little bit about my home:

• ONT is installed outside the home, as far as I know. 
  • I can confirm the power source is inside the home, as well as the Ethernet run.
  • Ethernet run is located in the basement

However, I will not be placing the router or any wired network equipment in the basement. The router will be in a room on the second floor.

About this room:

• It has a coax run coming in from the external wall.
  • The entry point of the coax run is probably less than 100 feet from the ONT.

My follow questions are then:

• Do Fios technicians carry outdoor-rated cable?
  • Can they pull the coax run and feed in a new Ethernet run in it's place?
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct, FiOS does not use modems.  Just routers.

If there is not an existing Ethernet run from the ONT to your desired router location, your best bet is to run it yourself.  Verizon techs currently are not going into homes to run wires, so if you can do it yourself you stand a chance of getting an install completed before November.

I doubt a FiOS tech would use an existing coax as a pull cable for Ethernet.  That's just not the kind of work they do.

Further, when they run cable it's simply stapled to the outside of the wall.  They do not fish cables inside walls.  Depending on the amount of work and parts involved, they may charge extra to run the cable.  You'll get a neater and cleaner install if you do it yourself.  It's not that hard.

I've no idea what kind of cable they use.  Again, if you want it done a certain way with certain material, do it yourself.

Depending on the model of ONT installed, they may need to upgrade it.  If it's outside you stand a chance of having that work done now.  If it's been powered on since it was last in service, you may be able to get a self install setup.  Try ordering and see what happens.

If you run into any issues ordering and are certain you have a working outdoor ONT, you can try asking Verizon's social media team for help.  You can reach them via @Verizonsupport on Twitter or https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.

0 Likes