Customer access panel - Ethernet port
snickwad

Hi.

Can someone verify if it is still possible to get the ethernet port in the customer access panel activated? And can this be done at the time of placing the initial order as a returning customer?

I wish to continue to use my own personel  router, as I do not reuire any form of interactive service or guide for my TV service (I am trying to go Cablecard with pc based TV server). I have already invested my money into the purchase of the router, and have my configuration working just fine.

I tried a chat session with a sales guy, and he did not have a clue about my requirements, and just tried to sell to me, regardless.

Many thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Customer access panel - Ethernet port
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is definately possible... I just had mine activated within the past couple months since I too wanted to use my own router setup. Here is how you will get the port activated.

1. Run the ethernet cable before hand
  2. Call Verizon's FSC at 888-553-1555
  3. Navigate though the menus untill you get Tech Support and a live human on the line
  4. Tell them this:

"I want to have the internet connection from my ONT to the Actiontec router changed from the coax connection to the ethernet connection. I understand that is something you can do without additional charge to me because the wire is already in place. Can you do that for me now, please?" 

They will be able to switch over the Coax to Ethernet immediately, only requiring an ONT reboot.

If you do only have internet (no TV) its pretty much plug and play with your new system, if you do have TV however you will still need to keep the actiontec router on the network, it just won't be your primary router any longer.

DSL Reports has written a fantastic, in-depth tutorial on this process, if you want to read it for yourself here is the link:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15990

Best of luck! (You'll enjoy your own router, trust me) Smiley Wink

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

He shouldn't need an actiontec if he is going with cablecards only correct?

0 Likes
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3

A MOCA capable router is only needed if using Verizon set top box(es).

0 Likes
snickwad

Many thanks for the information.

Currently I do not have a service with Verizon, but I am a previous customer looking at returning.

The trouble I had was with the sales people, who clearly did not have any technical undersatnding of what I was requiring.

So how do I place on order for the services I need, with the requirements I want.

Cheers.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you want TV and Internet or Internet only?

If both, you may get send a rotuer and told you need STB.

If you don't want STB, then just return both.

If youonly want Internet, should be able to order and say you don't need a router.

If they send a tech, tell him to provision Ethernet.

If self install, may have to contact support to have them activate Ethernet for you.

0 Likes
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Best to place the order online.  You can choose customer supplied router and however many cablecards you need.  Try out placing the order with all the offers availabe to see which works out best for you just don't go so far as to submit it until you are sure everything is correct in the order and the prices listed are what the offer showed.  Sometimes the site is a little flaky and it does not apply the discounts properly just keep trying until it gets it right.  Before submiting the order print out the summary with equipment and costs listed so you have it if there is a discrepancy later.  This way you get the offer you chose which is usually better online than ordering over the phone.  Most of the complaints new customers have with an order is the sales person promising something they cannot deliver.

0 Likes