DHCP Question for 3100 Router
LydianSharp4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi there,

How do I change the DHCP range on this router?

I have two Windows 10 machines to which I would like to assign static IP addresses. The DHCP on the router is assigning from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254. When I try to assign static IPs within Windows 10 either above 254 or within that range it doesn’t work and the devices just lose internet instantly.  How can I change the settings on the router so that I can assign static IPs to these machines?

I have been looking for the page within the router settings but I cannot find it! Any suggestions gratefully received. Also, if there is a better way to do this, please let me know.

Thx

Felix

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DHCP Question for 3100 Router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two corrections on dslr595148's response.

Option 1 does not set a static IP, rather, it is setting a static DHCP reservation. The host continues to ask DHCP renewals every so often, but G3100 DHCP server will respond with the same IP release. This is useful for devices on which you cannot configure a static IP address, such as Fios Network Extender/Adapter, but you still would like them to have the same IP addresses after power-cycling.

Option 2 is the preferred way of setting up static IPs.

@dslr595148 wrote:

but outside of [G3100's] DHCP Range.

This is not necessary. G3100 and G1100 constantly pings all subnet addresses to see what hosts are up and what IP addresses are available to lease. It will never hand out an IP address that is in-use by a host, whether it is statically assigned or through DHCP.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are two ways to setup a Static IP.

Option have the router do it for you.

#1 After logging into the NAT router go to Advanced -> IPv4 Address DISTRIBUTION -> DHCP Connection List -> Add Static Connection

#2 Enter in the Host Name, the Fixed/Static IP Address and the MAC/Physical/Hardware Address. Save/Apply settings.

--

Option two, you setup a manual Static IP on your computer.

#1 In the router go to Network -> Network Connections -> Network (Home/Office) -> Settings.

#2 You must make sure that the DHCP Range does not occupy the whole subnet. If it does you need to make it smaller, then save/apply.

#3 On your computer you are to setup a Static IP with-in the same subnet but outside of it's DHCP Range.

For example with the router at 192.168.1.1, the starting IP Address of 192.168.1.100 and the ending IP Address of 192.168.1.254, then outside of the DHCP range would be 192.168.1.6

---

REF https://www.verizon.com/supportresources/content/dam/verizon/support/consumer/documents/internet/fio...

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two corrections on dslr595148's response.

Option 1 does not set a static IP, rather, it is setting a static DHCP reservation. The host continues to ask DHCP renewals every so often, but G3100 DHCP server will respond with the same IP release. This is useful for devices on which you cannot configure a static IP address, such as Fios Network Extender/Adapter, but you still would like them to have the same IP addresses after power-cycling.

Option 2 is the preferred way of setting up static IPs.

@dslr595148 wrote:

but outside of [G3100's] DHCP Range.

This is not necessary. G3100 and G1100 constantly pings all subnet addresses to see what hosts are up and what IP addresses are available to lease. It will never hand out an IP address that is in-use by a host, whether it is statically assigned or through DHCP.

LydianSharp4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you so much for the explanation. This worked perfectly!! 
Much appreciated!

Felix