DHCP lease not renewing properly
lthch

I've been disconnecting every two hours since I've had FiOS installed. I've pinpointed the problem to the router not renewing it's DHCP lease properly. It helps to reboot the router but that solution doesn't last very long, it begins renewing properly again but after about 8-12 hours it doesn't renew until the lease expires. Obviously there's no manual fix available, no new firmwares and not much a user can do. I've also done a hard reset, force upgrade of firmware, restore to manufactor.

0 Likes
Re: DHCP lease not renewing properly
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The way routers work with PC's is that they listen, and PC's Talk.

They listen for requests.  They also do not look for active connections to connect to.  They simply listen, always and at all times. 

So if your PC doesn't send the request properly to say "hi I am a pc and I am still alive and I need the internet" then the router will not hear the request and it won't be able to honor the request.

There may be a problem with your APIPA and you can try disabling it to see if that is causing it, or you can reset your tcpip stack.

If all that fails, try going to the alternate configuration tab and set up static IP's.

I would recommend using.

IP 192.168.1.200

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

dns set to auto, or you can assign 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

The DHCP Client service on a computer running Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 uses the following process to auto-configure the client:

1. The DHCP client attempts to locate a DHCP server and obtain an IP address and configuration.

2. If a DHCP server cannot be found or does not respond after one minute, the DHCP client checks the settings on the Alternate Configuration tab of the properties of the TCP/IP protocol. 

If Automatic private IP address is selected, the DHCP client auto-configures its IP address and subnet mask by using a selected address from the Microsoft-reserved Class B network, 169.254.0.0, with the subnet mask 255.255.0.0. The DHCP client tests for an address conflict to ensure that the IP address is not in use on the network. If a conflict is found, the client selects another IP address. The client retries auto-configuration up to 10 times.

If User Configured is selected, the DHCP client configures a static IP address configuration. The DHCP client tests for an address conflict to ensure that the IP address is not already in use on the network. If a conflict is found, the DHCP client indicates the error condition to the user.

3. When the DHCP client succeeds in self-selecting an address, it configures its network interface with the IP address. The client then continues to check for a DHCP server in the background every five minutes. If a DHCP server responds, the DHCP client abandons its self-selected IP address and uses the address offered by the DHCP server (and any other DHCP option information that the server provides) to update its IP configuration settings.

XPs alternate IP configuration screen

0 Likes
lthch

I'm actually refering to the router itself renewing with Verizon, there would appear to be a bug as this isn't the only topic on it but there are no solutions. The router only sometimes work properly after a reset. The proper behavior would be it renewing every hour for a new two hour lease but that doesn't stick. It starts to only renew after it expires(120min) and there are no settings for the user to fix it. So I feel there's a bug that Verizon is overlooking and it definitely isn't new.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Then that would be more in line with a ONT reset.  Have you tried that?

0 Likes
lthch

Great suggestion, I had no idea what an ONT was. I'll let you know in an hour or so if the same behavior exists and if it doesn't occur in the next say 24 that should be a fix.

0 Likes
lthch

It's a no go so far, I'm going to try in conjuction with the many resets of the router. I doubt it'll work but it's worth a shot.

0 Likes
lthch

No good, even reboots of the router no longer help. It just keeps waiting until the lease expires to get a new one which causes a disconnect.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Not a normal behavior for that router,   I don't remember reading but have you had the router replaced with a new one?  

Rev A - D are their first generation routers, and they are now on Gen3 routers. maybe that router has simply lived it's life.

Verizon does free replacements as long as you send the old one back.    I would take it into a store personally, only problem is the stores are probably closed until wed.  

0 Likes
lthch

Running a REV. E, just had the FiOS put in last week. But I suppose I could go get it replaced to eliminate it being this specific router.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Not a normal behavior for that router,   I don't remember reading but have you had the router replaced with a new one?  

Rev A - D are their first generation routers, and they are now on Gen3 routers. maybe that router has simply lived it's life.

Verizon does free replacements as long as you send the old one back.    I would take it into a store personally, only problem is the stores are probably closed until wed.  

I have called in the morning and had a free new router delivered to my house the afternoon of the next day. And I am on my third Actiontec, have not returned either of the previous ones. Tech Support will tell you on the phone you need to return the old one, but when you get the new one the included documentation says you don't need to return the old one. At least that has been my experience.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes