DHCP subnet change?
kbakalar

I have the Actiontec M1424WR REV F firmware 20.10.7.  

On advance tab->IP address distribution -> action 

I need to change my home DHCP server start and end addresses to correspond to a particular IP subnet -- company tech support demands I use a company-owned subnet for  my company computer on my home network.

XXX.XXX.255.0/24 

When I try to change just the start and end address, I get an error message:

Start IP Address, End IP Address: The DHCP IP address range does not conform to the connection IP address and the DHCP subnet mask.

What does this mean? Can I make this change?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DHCP subnet change?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes ... that was essentially the suggestion that I made in my first post.   Use a second router in NAT mode with the local segment addressed as whatever range the employer wanted.   If you have a NAT router which can be configured in plain "router" mode without the NAT, you could also add a second segment -- the problem here however is that the ActionTEC doesn't always properly perform the NAT translation toward the internet on the second range (plus you have to add the static routes for the other segment, which while not difficult, can be confusing for some).

Installing it as a NAT router behind the ActionTEC would result in a double NAT scenario, but that's usually an issue for almost any scenario except those requiring UPnP features.  

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

what subnet are you trying to change to?

The DHCP range you are trying to specify must be the same subnet you are defining.  For example by default the subnet the actiontec is using is:  192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

The DHCP range must be in 192.168.1.1-254

Do you subscribe to FIOS TV?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Try going to My Network > Network Connections > Full Status > Network (Home/Office)   > Settings.

Set the Actiontec's IP there at xxx.xxx.255.1.  Then set the range on the page where you were to start at xxx.xxx.255.2 and end at 255.24. 

I think that'll work.  Once that change takes you'd logon to the Actointec at the new IP: xxx.xxx.255.1.  And save your configuration file before you try this change just in case it doesn't work.  Smiley Wink

kbakalar

The subnet I want to use is not in the 192.168.XXX.XXX range. It is in range reserved  to my employer. Are you saying that Verizon will not let me use a subnet outside of 192.168.1.0/254?

I do have TV as well as internet. Does that matter?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You can change the subnet to be something other than 192.168.10 but the TV does rely on the 192.168.1.x subnet in order to properly use all the features of the STB.  

I'm sure someone can comment on what happens when you use something other than 192.168.1.x

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@jumpin68ny wrote:

You can change the subnet to be something other than 192.168.10 but the TV does rely on the 192.168.1.x subnet in order to properly use all the features of the STB.  

I'm sure someone can comment on what happens when you use something other than 192.168.1.x

I'm using 192.168.0.x.  I have my Actiontec's Rev E IP set to 192.168.0.1  and all features on our TV's, STB's, , etc. work properly.  Even caller ID on the TV's.

So it doesn't have to be the default of 192.168.1.x but I've never tried anything as different as what the OP seems to need.  It can't hurt to try what I suggested though.  You can always go back to the defaults.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Will remote DVR functionality work if the subnet is not 192.168.1.x?  I know VOD and the guide will work with a different subnet, wasnt sure about remote DVR.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

We use remote DVR all the time.  My wife has the app on her iPhone and I use TV Central.  No problems.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

eljefe is correct that you can change the subnet without loss of functionality -- it used to be the case that this wouldn't work but it appears that Verizon may have fixed this shortcoming.   Be aware however that if you change and call for tech support, they pretty much won't help you until you get back to the 192.168.1.x range -- and they usually do that by resetting the router as the first diagnostic task.   So, caveat emptor.

For the OP, you can change the router as was describe here in a previous post to a range you like -- but you must change the router information first, and then go work on the DHCP range.   A better solution for you may be to purchase a second router (Linksys, Dlink, etc.) from an online retailer or electronics store and connect it to your ActionTec router (WAN interface of the new router to an available LAN interface) and then configure the new router to use the range stipulated by your employer and connect your company machine to that router.

This configuration will leave your "home" network on the 192.168.1.x network and fully supported by Verizon and still allow you to do as your employer wishes without potentially exposing the rest of your home network to whatever they might be requiring.

0 Likes
kbakalar

Okay, thanks for the discussion. I will try it. If you don't hear from me again, you'll know I failed 😉

0 Likes