Switch Account

DNS Lookup slowing down and often failing

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

DNS Lookup slowing down and often failing

Message 1 of 5
(9,819 Views)

Of late this internet services is becoming slower and slower. In watching requests going out it seems to take a very long time to resolve DNS request which make browsing painfully slow. Often times lookups will fail completely.

It seems to be at random times and sometimes clears up with no action on my part .

Is anyone else experience the same thing?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: DNS Lookup slowing down and often failing

Message 2 of 5
(9,778 Views)

Yes. It has gotten much worse in the last month or two. I have switched to OpenDNS and to me it seems a lot faster. OpenDNS is free, so I suggest you give it a try, you can always go back to the Verizon DNS servers if you want.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(9,778 Views)
I agree with Justin - stick with OpenDNS.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 5
(9,727 Views)
In order to use OpenDNS, I take it I must set an address for the Open DNS server in the Connection Properties???
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 5 of 5
(9,707 Views)

Just go to opendns.com and follow their directions. Easy, easy, easy, free, you don't have to join to use their dns services. And again, if you don't like it for some reason, you can always go back. 

You should go to their website, but for completeness, their dns addresses are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.