DNS errors, rebooting every few hours
myfamilyrocks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, i've been having to reboot my G1100 Quantum router at least three times a day to get the DNS to work.  I have a Coax to the G1100, and a Verizon provided wi-fi extender also via coax.  the router shows  solid white globe, along with the white wifi indicator, and in the rear the WAN port is also green.  What happens, is if i go to google, bing or any search engine it loads, but if i type a question or a new website (not stored in cache) the browser would show DNS error.  However, if i go to youtube etc...streaming services work.  I have tried calling Verizon three times to figure this out.  I checked out the DNS server address in the advanced tab of the "myfiosgateway" and confirmed that the DNS servers are correct or working.  Anybody else have similar issues since Christmas?

0 Likes
Re: DNS errors, rebooting every few hours
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

DNS works fine for me.

Is it only the one computer that has these issues or are all devices on your network having a problem?

If you're comfortable with a command prompt, try using NSLOOKUP to see how your computer's DNS is working to resolve any domain.  If it's not working, chances are something got mis-configured on your computer. 

You can also try switching to other DNS servers.  Google is a good one to use, it's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  You can configure this DNS sever on your computer or your router; I suggest you try the computer first.

Good Luck.

myfamilyrocks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, it's not just the one PC, all PCs including one Macbook Pro, and phones having the issue. Verizon replaced my router and it worked for a whole day, then the problem persists.I have tried changing the DNS address in the router as you recommended but it only works when I reboot or power cycle the router. I am comfortable with cmd lines and will try the NS lookup as you recommended.  I have unplugged and disconnected all devices from the network except for the one PC for troubleshooting and the problem persists.  Also, this affects both wired and wireless devices.  Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm about to give up and get a different ISP.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's rather odd.  I've had OpenDNS configured in my G1100 for years.  It works just fine.  I don't reboot my router often; usually it only reboots when Verizon pushes new firmware.

Can you try a different router?  That would help determine if it's something in the VZ router or network.

You might want to try the Verizon FiOS forum on dslreports, the user base is a bit more technical then here.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

You can also try working with the Verizon direct support team, the can be very helpful (better then the phone reps)
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

Good Luck

myfamilyrocks
Enthusiast - Level 2

As an update, I received another new router from Verizon and proceeded to install.  After a few hours the google services were no longer working. I have also disconnected all network connections (both wired and wireless) from the network except for the one PC for troubleshooting.

I also posted this question on the Microsoft forum, and one of the forum members recommended that i try using a VPN connection to verify whether it's the PC, network or ISP.  I proceeded to download and install protonVPN, while the "G1100" was acting up and was able to access "Google services".  When i disconnect the proton VPN connection the "Google servcies" DNS error would occur.  I'm wondering if Verizon is somehow blocking google DNS queries?

0 Likes
myfamilyrocks
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Verizon customer service a few more times, and notified them that they needed to resolve the DNS error or i was going to cancel.  After that i'm not sure what Verizon did, but my account / router now is able resolve Google services and queries for more than a few hours.  Its been connected for 3 days without having to reboot/ power cycle the router.  I   Nothing changed on my end in terms of network etc..