DNS issues in Northern VA?
idburns
Enthusiast - Level 3

I woke up this morning, hopped on the web and I'm having serious DNS issues. Win7 Network and Sharing center showed that I was on my network but had no internet access. I switched from Google DNS servers to the FiOS DNS servers, that helped a little.  I now had an internet connection but some websites load, some don't and I can't connect to any online games.

gmail works fine

yahoo works fine

can't load msn.com

can't load cnn.com (or many other sites)

the anandtech forums (forums.anandtech.com) are really slow

the hardocp forums (hardforums.com) are really slow

My Steam connects but I can't connect to any online game (ie WoW, Rift, Black Ops, BF:BC2, etc)

I'm here in Northern Virginia on Verizon FiOS- I've had service for 2.5 years and never had an issue like this.

I've rebooted the router, power cycled it, bypassed the switch here in my home office, flushed the DNS cache on this computer, nothing seems to be helping.  This is affecting all computers in my house.

Is anyone else having issues?

Re: DNS issues in Northern VA?
idburns
Enthusiast - Level 3

Whatever was going on seems to have resolved itself after a few hours.

fibertechguru
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try getting used to using a another DNS like OpenDNS as a backup, it really helps improves your surfing but also help if VZ has a DNS outage.

spuun

same problem in Florida. i cannot log into the Rift game server or the web site, www.riftgame.com. a problem with verizon. i can access the web site on my other internet service provider. 

0 Likes
Carni1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem in Hampton roads Va all computers in house have same issue.

0 Likes