Re: DNS issues in SoCal
frnkblk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sean's note points to an MTU issue -- it's unusual for residential broadband networks to have an MTU size larger than 1500 bytes.  It sounds like Verizon's routers are not fragmenting packets when necessary.

If the issue is lack of proper packet fragmentation, SDCCU could help their customers by clamping down their MTU to 1500 (either on the server hosting the website or load balancer or router(s)). I'm assuming, of course, that Verizon's FiOS subscribers use home routers that already have a maximum MTU of 1500, but if they don't, many routers can be manually set to that size.

0 Likes
frnkblk
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
JamesLaszko
Enthusiast - Level 3

Shayne-

Any idea what it was they did to fix it?  I've still got a ton of customers that are not working.  Were you static or DHCP?  Did the fix happen due to getting a new IP lease?

Thanks,

James

0 Likes
shayne571

@JamesLaszko all we were told is that they were aware of the issue, that it was affecting many others in SoCal and were working on it. My internet did go up and down as they were working on it. I have a dynamic IP and they did not ask me to do anything on my end. I'm not sure if they fixed the widespread issue, or just addressing it per user as each calls in.

0 Likes
JamesLaszko
Enthusiast - Level 3

@shayne571: OK - we have been working with the VZ IP NOC and they were oblivious to the issue and had not actually been presented with any chronic / trended / known issue type of escalations, so I'm curious what is being done to correct the issue.  Will continue the march!  Thanks.

0 Likes
Bearwood
Enthusiast - Level 3

Experienced same connection issue with my FiOS service at Rhode Island location.  My connection issue resolved by completing system restore to the restore point prior to Windows Update KB2585542 installation. 

0 Likes
Bearwood
Enthusiast - Level 3
frnkblk
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Bearwood: Thanks for sharing, but I don't think there's a Windows-related issue affecting just SoCal.

0 Likes
Bearwood
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is another report of Windows update KB2585542 causing connection issues.  This SSL connection issue should not be assumed as limited to southern CA.  As I previously noted, my ability to connect with SSL sites was restored once I removed Microsoft update KB2585542 by a system restore.  Both my XP & Win7 using IE9 had SSL connections issues that were resolved upon removing KB2585542.    

http://www.kerio.com/blog/microsoft-windows-update-and-kerio-outlook-connector

JamesLaszko
Enthusiast - Level 3
This is not a Windows update problem. The issue occurs on non-Windows devices as well.
0 Likes