DNS lookup failed
Steve3621
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why can I not get to this website: http://mail.centurylink.com ? Is Verizon blocking this site for some reason?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DNS lookup failed
Steve3621
Enthusiast - Level 1

Some forum. No reply. Appears Verizon is have DNS server issues. I changed my DNS server from auto to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and then flushed the DNS cache and its fixed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Steve3621
Enthusiast - Level 1

Some forum. No reply. Appears Verizon is have DNS server issues. I changed my DNS server from auto to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and then flushed the DNS cache and its fixed.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Steve3621 wrote:

Wow, you waited all of 46 minutes before complaining about the lack of response. You have more patience than the average two year old, congrats.

Verizon doesn't block websites. It's almost always a BOGON filter or DNS issue. Glad you found a way to resolve it.

Justin46
Legend

@Steve3621 wrote:

And you gave it all of about 50 minutes to get a reply? These forms are for users to help other users, some of us actually have other things to do in life than answer questions on the forums, I think it is unreasonable to expect any answer that quickly.

I see you changed your DNS to OpenDNS; I have used OpenDNS for years and have found that their servers generally are more reliable than the Verizon servers (that experience was several years ago, have never gone back to the Verizon servers to see if they have improved), plus even with a free OpenDNS account I can easily set up some filters to block certain sites.

By the way, I see you registered today, welcome to the Forums, I hope you find them more useful to you in the future. But I really do suggest that you give the members here more time to try to answer. And if you see questions posted that you know the answers to, please do add your $0.02 worth.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Be aware, CenturyLink is having some network issues. It could be possible the problem is not with Verizon's DNS, but is actually due to the fact that Verizon's DNS server might be unable to actually reach the authoritative server for that domain. OpenDNS may have had a cached record for that, hence the reason why you're able to open it.

See this: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CenturyLink-Suffering-Major-Broadband-Outage-124150

I have no idea if that affects only broadband customers, or all services, but considering it's nationwide it's something big. Word has it though, things are coming back online.