DVR & Re Routing problem
jnord1650
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm connected to FIOs through the Coax on a Westell A90-9100EM15-10. Every room in the house is through the coax. The main FIOs box is in the garage, and if I follow the coax out of the FIOS box it runs over to the Brighthouse box.  It appears Verizon swapped the feed for the main brighthouse (cable) connection for the one from the FIOS box .   I don't use any other services from Verizon other than internet.

I noticed upon receiving service that my DVR (Q-See) would only work if I placed it on the DMZ.  I tried configuring the ports as recommended and even called tech support for the DVR to verify there were no additional ports that were needed.  I was forced to place the DVR on the DMZ. I am not happy with this as now it is exposed and could be hacked.  I called Verizon tech support and they were less than helpful. They stated as long as it would work on the DMZ they could not support the device any further unless I paid for premium service. 

Now I have a device on my network which I want to intercept at the router and route to a different IP.  The reason being is that the device itself is hardcoded to go to one IP, but there is a better performing IP I want to force it to on a different ports for various services a router would not recognize. I looked all over the Verizon device for a way to staticly re-route the IP / outbound port and no go. 

I have also had problems using static IP addresses on some of the internal addresses I need.

I would rather just go back to using my NetGear as a router behind the FIOS since it handled all these features just fine.

Based upon the fact that the Westell device has problems with certain traffic, I'm thinking the only real way around that woudl be to place the NetGear on the DMZ with a static IP.  That way if anything were to be hacked, it would be my NetGear router, not my individual devices with less security and then use the NetGear to pass traffic to the DVR over the DMZ and place all my internally  networked devices on the Negear device using my old internal subnet of 10.100.100.x. so that all my devices can see each other and someone on my network can use them....and if they wanted a faster wireless connection to bitlord or other they could just connect to the Westell directly.  However, if they wanted to print or use my NAS they would have to switch back to the Netgear wireless.

Westell Config:

External: DHCP set by Verizon

DynDNS for IP changes

Leave DHCP server on for wirless clients on 192.168.1.x (1 - 50?)

Leave internal IP address 192.168.1.1

Netgear config:

External IP:  192.168.1.100

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS: FIOS DNS Servers

Internal IP: 10.100.100.1

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 10.100.100.1

DNS: 10.100.100.1

0 Likes
Re: DVR & Re Routing problem
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Wrkrbee wrote:

I'm connected to FIOs through the Coax on a Westell A90-9100EM15-10. Every room in the house is through the coax. The main FIOs box is in the garage, and if I follow the coax out of the FIOS box it runs over to the Brighthouse box.  It appears Verizon swapped the feed for the main brighthouse (cable) connection for the one from the FIOS box .   I don't use any other services from Verizon other than internet.

You should call Verizon and tell them to send their tech back to wire your installation correctly.  Technically speaking what they have done is illegal.

If you're only paying for Fios internet they should have laid a separate coax cable for that to your router without connecting into your existing coax wiring which belongs/is being used by another company.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the other parts of your question/s.

Why not just ask Verizon to activate the ethernet port on the ONT and connect your netgear router to that, and use it as before, and then turn of the Westell router as you no longer need it , nor would you then need the coax connection so it would resolve everything.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually, there is nothing "illegal" about it. The only part that belongs to the other company is the part leading up to the house. The Dmark and the wire in the house does not belong to any 1 company. It belongs to the homeowner. And so long as it does not interfear with "existing" services, it is perferctly legal for them to do this. The problem is that generally it does interfear with other services.

The question is, does the OP use brighthouse? From the post, it sounds like he may be using interent TV. If he does not use brighthouse, this is a perfectly acceptable installation. If he does use brighthouse, then Verizon would need to come out and re-wire.

But your recommendation of using eithernet is really the way to go. Run ethernet from the ONT to the router. Then use any router you want. With internet only, there is no reason to use the Verizon provided equipment beyond wanting them to support the device.

EDIT:

I just did a check, q-see dvr's look like security dvr's (for security cameras). So the question of brighthouse should be moot. That is unless the OP is haviing problem with the tv service, but since he didnt mention it, I'm assuming not. This looks like a case of a compatibility issue between a security system and the Verizon router (Very common).

jnord1650
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please allow me to clarify.  The house was wired for FIOS before me. I am merely dealing with what was done before and only needing internet service.

I am now thinking about adding tV to teh package since it would only be about $6.00 extra for 200 channels for 6 months and $26.00 extra after that.

the only reason I did not sign up for internet and other services was because at the time you had to sign up for a bundle internet, tv and phone...or services were priced in bundles that didn't work for me so I would have had to pay for individual services and it wasn't worth it.

With that said, the DVR isn't the only problem, as those who read my post my recall.  I need to re-route at the router for at least 1 item and every time it tries to get out to the internet, redirect to the proper IP.  The device itself is hardcoded to the wrong IP and there is no way to change it other than swap out to an "upgrade" which is going to cost me a bunch of money as well.

Really I don't need verizon's support, as I have found their knowledge lacking.

I would love to not use their router at all since my router is a $300 business router.

jnord1650
Enthusiast - Level 2

Because the FIOS equipment is in the garage...which is wired throught he coax....which goes throught the house.  My office, is on the other side of the house and the Westell (Verizon) is wired in that room from CoAX.  So I would have to run a coax from teh garage through the roof system to the one room...and really I'm not willing to do that for a house I am renting.

Secondly, because the wireless from the Westell is much faster and does not ever lock up.  So i do like that part.

0 Likes
jnord1650
Enthusiast - Level 2

QSee is a DVR...and yes from what I have read the Westell/Verizon box has some security issues with it and unless you lower the security it isn't compatible.

Why can't Verizon just provide a good router that is more user friendly, has more functionality, more features that people need, and more compatibility.

The reality is I wouldnt' even look to use my own router if their provided device simply provided features of a regular router I can buy at the local store for under $100.

0 Likes
jnord1650
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, allow me to correct, I would have to run an ethernet cable from the FIOS Dmark in the garage to my office on the other side of the house and I do not own the house, I rent.  Although I am capable of running an ethernet cable through the attic, I do not want to put any more into the house than I already have.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Wrkrbee wrote:

QSee is a DVR...and yes from what I have read the Westell/Verizon box has some security issues with it and unless you lower the security it isn't compatible.

Why can't Verizon just provide a good router that is more user friendly, has more functionality, more features that people need, and more compatibility.

The reality is I wouldnt' even look to use my own router if their provided device simply provided features of a regular router I can buy at the local store for under $100.

Which feature is it that you are looking for?  as Most of the features found on regular routers are on the westell, albeit in somewhat strange  ways for some of them.

If you are going to get the TV services well you are going to need the Westell in your network as it controls the stb guides.

Is the device you have an issue with the Q-see one?  If so the you should be able to just port forward access through the Westell to the device.  Apparently it by default uses port 80 which may be blocked in your area so you would either have to port forward another source port and reroute that to 80 or change the device to listen on another port.  If you want to add the netgear router into the mix and g=have the dvr behind that then you would have to port forward whichever port you are listening on to the netgear router and port forward the port again at the netgear router.

0 Likes
wrkrbeeee

I realize that port forwarding should work for my DVR ...it doesn't. 

As I stated, I can only access my DVR from outside the network when I place it in the DMZ. Yes, I called tech support for both the DVR and Verizon. DVR mfg ensured I had correct ports open.

I would like port forwarding to work, as well as the option to have outgoing traffic from one IP, a list of IP's, or one host name redirected to a different IP. 

I would also like port forwarding to work properly.

Oh, and QooS adjustments would be nice as well.  Right now my router has the main route set to medium service...with no place readily available to modify it.  WTF is that!

0 Likes