Daily FiOS Internet Outage (Same Time of Day)
Barrick1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been experiencing outages in my FiOS Internet access since install. The interesting thing about the outages, is that they occur more or less daily at the same time of day (Approximately 8PM local in N. Virginia.)

I contacted support shortly after the initial install and was sent a new modem. That didn't resolve the issue and I was sent another new modem and power cable. Although this second new modem didn't resolve the issue, I became frustrated with the phone trees and holding, so I decided that calling in for support wasn't worth my time.

Recently the outages have become more frequent, so I decided to take up the cause again and call the trouble in. I now have an appointment for a technician to check out my ONT this weekend. I'll keep this post updated with my progress.

For reference I am running:

Model - MI424WR-GEN3I

FW version - 40.20.7

HW version - I

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Daily FiOS Internet Outage (Same Time of Day)
Barrick1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The router resets seem to be a thing of the past. I still experience degrated performance in the evenings, but I attribute it to upstream oversubscription.

I've had pings running from other networks into my modem for the past week and haven't seen a complete outage, but between 6:00 PM and 10:00 PM there are clear spikes in latency and some packet loss. Since the equipment trouble here has been resolved, I will wait to see if Verizon improves the service. If not, I might look elsewhere once my contract expires.

What you can see in the output below: The first blue spike is packet loss (really ping timeout) due to the ONT being powered down by the technician. The other (lower) blue spikes are representative of my experience during the week. The two graphs are derived from the response time and percent of replies lost from two geographically distant external networks for an entire week.

In this next iamge you see the same data extracted from a single day. In this case, the data was collected on Friday October 25th. Note the high packet loss during peak usage hours in the evening and late morning.

The initial reason for this post (hard modem resets) is resolved. Therefore, I won't make any further updates to this post. Hopefully Verizon will take steps to increase capacity and improve peering agreements to resolve the lingering usability issues during peak hours.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Barrick1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tech just wrapped up the service call. The following work was performed:

The ONT power supply / battery was replaced. The tech mentioned that it looked like the ONT was replaced at some point, but that the old power supply was recycled. He suspected the outages may have been due to power on the ONT.

Converted service from MoCA to Ethernet.

Speed tests seem to show a significant improvement on Ethernet vs. what I was seeing on Coax. Hopefully this resolves the intermittent outages.

0 Likes
kskillins

Let us know how it goes.  I am dealing with something very similar in NJ for the last couple of years.  I gave up using internet to not have to deal with the verizon phone tree.  

I am on router 4, ONT 2, tech 4 and still no resolution.  They haven't converted me to ethernet - maybe something to try.  

Shocking - i am currently on hold with Verizon Support right now (my tech told me to call) and they came back on the phone and said they want to send another tech to double check the work of the first tech..talk about not admitting fault?  

Best of luck to you - i hope i can get my internet fixed.

0 Likes
Barrick1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The router resets seem to be a thing of the past. I still experience degrated performance in the evenings, but I attribute it to upstream oversubscription.

I've had pings running from other networks into my modem for the past week and haven't seen a complete outage, but between 6:00 PM and 10:00 PM there are clear spikes in latency and some packet loss. Since the equipment trouble here has been resolved, I will wait to see if Verizon improves the service. If not, I might look elsewhere once my contract expires.

What you can see in the output below: The first blue spike is packet loss (really ping timeout) due to the ONT being powered down by the technician. The other (lower) blue spikes are representative of my experience during the week. The two graphs are derived from the response time and percent of replies lost from two geographically distant external networks for an entire week.

In this next iamge you see the same data extracted from a single day. In this case, the data was collected on Friday October 25th. Note the high packet loss during peak usage hours in the evening and late morning.

The initial reason for this post (hard modem resets) is resolved. Therefore, I won't make any further updates to this post. Hopefully Verizon will take steps to increase capacity and improve peering agreements to resolve the lingering usability issues during peak hours.

0 Likes
PjD805
Enthusiast - Level 2

Some time ago there was some discussion about providers "throttling" bandwidth. And, since VF. is in the business of selling bandwidth one may speculate that bandwidth may change/reduced during primetime.

Of course all providers make a blanket CYA statement that says "we can't guarntee full bandwidth all the time".

Just say'n...

0 Likes
kskillins

So it sounds like i am not the only one in this area with the issue.  My tech has been working with the "inside" folks to try and fix the problem.  In all seriousness - it is working better.  Now i have to get this temporary cross connect taken off since my speed is being throttled due to it.

I'll let you know if it keeps up.

0 Likes