Daisy chain two MI424WR routers?
philsixereagle

I've been googling but have been unsuccesful and my friendly automated Verizon CR pop up box has no clue what I'm asking him 🙂

Given the configuration in our house, we can only hardwire into the FIOS Internet in one location (with a MI424WR router), and I need a hard connection at a 2nd location to activate my slingbox.

I have a 2nd MI424WR that I'd like to daisy chain to the 1st one, at the secondary location where I have the slingbox.  Once I have internet access at the 2nd location, I assume I can then get the slingbox working off of that internet signal at the 2nd router.

So....can anyone explain simply, step by step, how I can daisy chain the routers such that the 2nd router can piggyback on the 1st router's internet access?

Thanks so much - and the simpler and more straightforward the instructions, the better - I'm not the strongest techie in the world!

0 Likes
Re: Daisy chain two MI424WR routers?
phiyuku
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not really understanding what you mean but I am going to assume that you want to connect the two routers. Such as one router has an ethernet cord running to the 2nd router and not have 2 modems using coax to get internet since that seems to have something to do with verizon. You really don't need two MI42WR you just need one or a switch or any other router just so you know.

Buy a switch probably easiest way. They cost less than $20. Plug one end in the FiOS router's LAN port(where you would plug a computer) and plug the other end in the switch. Then plug anything you want at the switch and it will work just as you were plugging it straight into the router.

Since you have two routers already I guess here is how you do it. I will not go into step by step specifics rather what you need to do. If you need step by step I'll help you tomorrow if I remember.

Step 1: Assign a different IP to your 2nd router preferably out of network. You need to do this by connecting a computer directly to the 2nd router.

Step 2: Disable DHCP

Step 3: Disable Firewall

Step 4: Plug one end of the ethernet cord into the LAN port of primary router and the other into the LAN port of the 2nd router. This means you will only have 3 open LAN ports on each. Never plug anything into the WAN port it just won't work. Basically the 4 ports act as a switch which is why I said a switch would be the cheapest way of doing this.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

wOw! how confusing.   

Actually, Your 2nd Verizon Router can be turned into just a basic switch, so no need to go purchase anything. - To make it act like just a switch instead of a router, You need to access that router's configuration page and turn off the 'DHCP Server' function.

to do that you need to connect a computer to that 2nd router via an ethernet cable (Plug the power cord in for that router, but do NOT connect that router to the internet)  plug the cable from your computer into one of the 4 LAN ports on that router (not the WAN port)

open your internet browzer on the computer connected to that router and type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar <- that should connect you to the page to enter the configuration pages of that router.

NOTE:  If you hold in the reset button on the back of that router for 15 seconds, then let it go and wait about 2 minutes before you try the above process,  you will have reset the default access codes on that router to make it easiest to gain access to....  the default login name = admin, and the default login password = password (or password1)    You may be directed to change the password the first time you access the router, but that is up to you if you want to change it.

Any way, log into the router    choose 'advanced' at the top, choose 'yes' you want to proceed, then look for 'IP Address Distribution' in the main part of the screen, open that,   you should see something like 'Network (Home\Office)' and on that same line out to the right you see a box labled 'Action'  - click on that 'Action' box and another box opens.  AT the top of that new box you see a listing for 'Services' and under that the only service listed should be 'IP Address Distribution'  with a drop down menu to the right.  By default it should say "DHCP Server".   Click on the drop down menu and choose 'disable'.   Then click on 'APPLY' at the bottom, then choose "logout" on the left.    

NOTE:   If you ever need to reset that router, it goes back to the default settings, which makes it a DHCP server again.  (There is a way to 'save' your current configuration to the computer the Router is attached to, so that you can 'restore' the current settings in the future without needing to go through all the steps here.) 

after you have completed this, you need to connect the ethernet cable coming FROM your 1st router (which is the one assigning IP addresses) [plugged into one of the 4 LAN ports on the first router]  to the second router by plugging that into the WAN port of the second router.    Then connect an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the 2nd router to your device.

Your device will then receive an IP address.

NOTE:    The easiest, fastest way to have all this 'just work', will be to turn off the first router BEFORE you connect the second router to it.    Turn off all devices connected to the first router.   Have your 2nd router turned off as well as whatever you are going to be connecting to the 2nd router.   TURN everything off.    Then make all the connections.  Then FIRST turn on the first (main) router.   wait until you have the internet light is green on that first router before you turn anything else on.  SECOND, turn on the second router and wait until the internet light on it is green on it before you turn on anything else.    Then turn on whatever devices.   It should all just work.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

of course, you cold also just plug the ethernet cable that is running from the 1st router to the second router, into the slingbox, too. 

0 Likes
phiyuku
Enthusiast - Level 2

WAN doesn't = LAN, when you use a switch all ports are LAN. BOTH ends need to be plugged into the LAN port.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@philsixereagle wrote:

Given the configuration in our house, we can only hardwire into the FIOS Internet in one location (with a MI424WR router), and I need a hard connection at a 2nd location to activate my slingbox.

I have a 2nd MI424WR that I'd like to daisy chain to the 1st one, at the secondary location where I have the slingbox.  Once I have internet access at the 2nd location, I assume I can then get the slingbox working off of that internet signal at the 2nd router.

You can't connect the 2nd router to the first by Wireless, at least that is my reading of what you are trying to do.

To do that you would need a wireless extender.

Alternatively it is possible to flash some wireless routers e.g. a linksys wrt54g to do this,

however

@philsixereagle wrote:

I'm not the strongest techie in the world!

So that may not be a viable alternative for you.

0 Likes
philsixereagle

Yes - that is what I'm trying to do.  My 2nd wireless router is in the basement, near the slingbox.  The 1st router is upstairs, connected directly to the FIOS line.  Can I connect the two routers wirelessly, such that I can access the internet via the 2nd router?

I'm ok with some signal degradation/fade - just wondering if this is possible to do?  And if so, how?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, there is no way to do it wirelessly with that router.

The real way to do it is to get a wireless extender but as I said before there is a way to flsh some routers to make them do it.  I'll see if I can find the link that says which routeres it can be done with and hoe to do it.

0 Likes