Dell Studio 1555 laptop with Windows 7 drops connection under heavy loads
fecurtis
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently got a new Dell Studio 1555 laptop with Windows 7 64 bit and everything is working fine except for the internet.  While under heavy loads, the connection will drop, sometimes to all computers connected to the network.  Here is my configuration:

Dell Studio 1555 laptop preloaded with Windows 7 64 Bit
Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGR Network Adapter (drivers up to date)
Verizon FIOS Service
Actiontec MI434WR router

Here's what I did, in the exact order:

First I tried a simple TCP/IP reset, no fix so I tried the following (in exact order):

1.  Set up a static IP address, we have many devices connected to the network,
-My computer
-2 roommates computers (PC's, one on Windows Vista, another with Windows XP)
-1 PC thats connected via a wired connection
-1 tablet PC, with Windows 7
-PS3
-XBox 360
-Nintendo Wii
-Blackberry 9550 (Storm2) smartphone
-iPhone 3G
-iPod Touch
The static IP set up ends with 25, there are no IP conflict issues.  Setting up a static IP address did not resolve the issue.

2.  Went into the router and changed the DNS server info to addresses that ended in .12 to .14, thus opting me out of the DNS assistance program...problem persisted.
3.  Went into the run commands as the admin and did the following:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

then created new registry keys under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters:

EnableTCPChimney=dword:00000000

EnableTCPA=dword:00000000

EnableRSS=dword:00000000

problem persisted, I also created the new registry keys under that address above as dword keys so nothing was erroneous there.

Through out this process I ensured my drivers were up to date (they were).  Still, under heavy load (i.e. using bittorrent to download various files, while surfing the internet), the connection will drop, causing me to disconnect and reconnect.  The connection will hold anywhere between a few minutes to several hours before dropping again. 

The weird thing is that sometimes, my bittorrents will continue their downloads but I cannot surf the internet, neither can other computers.  If the bittorrents download speeds hit 0, then just my computer cannot surf the internet, but others work fine.

I've also tried a wired connection on my FIOS connection, same problem persists, while under heavy loads, the connection will eventually drop.  I tried on a friend's network (same FIOS network with the same Actiontech MI424WR router) and it will also work unless under heavy loads, then my connection drops.  In addition, I have media going through the PS3...whenever I try to stream videos through the PS3, the same problem occurs.

I'm not quite sure what else to try, keep in mind, I'm not an expert when it comes to this sort of thing.  I've found all my solutions through other random forums via Googling.  I'm willing to try anything but keep in mind, I'm no expert in going through these intensive troubleshooting techniques so, when required, I may need specific instructions.  I find that my best luck in downloading things is when no one is home or everyone is asleep.

Any idea is greatly appreciated.  When I'm not doing much (i.e. just surfing the web) the network appears to work just fine.  Thanks in advance.  I really want to find a solution as the internet issue is very frustrating.

0 Likes
Re: Dell Studio 1555 laptop with Windows 7 drops connection under heavy loads
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wonder if the issue is because your Actionte, has a small/tiny NAT Table.

I point to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

fecurtis
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow that just might be it.  I'll have to check it out, sounds like it could be the issue.  How can I tell what generation of Actiontec router I have?  I did a further Google search and it appears to be a common problem with the Actiontec Rev A-D routers.

Rev E Actiontec routers have a far higher NAT table.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I do not know for sure, I can take an educated guess.

Look at the router it self, at all lables.

For example If any label says, Rev B - it is the B one.

If you can not find any label that says, what Rev it is - Assume it is the A one.

--

Also, there must be someone out on the net that knows the answer.

That someone (OR those other people) could be on this forum OR other forums (including the FIOS forum at DSLR).

^^^

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@fecurtis wrote:

How can I tell what generation of Actiontec router I have?

Just log into the router and click on System Monitoring, that will show you the hardware version.

Keller, TX 76248

fecurtis
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nevermind...its on the bottom of the router, its Rev. D.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

It's late and I am a bit sleepy, but I believe the larger NAT table was not available until Rev E, and I think you may not be able to upgrade to Rev E from D.        

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

I note that you did not mention whether or not you increased (in the router) the total number of connections that you are allowing . . . .  as I read your narrative, it seems you have 9 devices attaching that require IP addresses.

It can anytime be different, but first summation would lean towards the one (common) point of failure, since you mention that occasionally ALL devices lose connections at same time. . . .and that would be the router.    The NAT table thing is well known.

TCP\IP is TCP\IP, no matter in Windows or MACs, and no matter the operating system, HOWEVER, does 64bit make any difference?

let us know what you discover ?

0 Likes
fecurtis
Enthusiast - Level 1

No I haven't tried that, I'll give it a shot and report my results.

0 Likes