Desktop ethernet can't connect correctly to router
Jayb827

I just had Verizon FiOS added to my house. The internet Router is FiOS Quantum Gateway. WiFi is alright. The problem is the Ethernet to the PC keeps Cycling on/off every couple seconds to sometimes 2 /3 minutes. When I checked the connection it would say " wire is disconnected." It is connected but it seems t be shutting off. I tried 3 diferent Ethernet Cables. I have used the various Net solutions that ae out there, even "For Dummies". My friend who knows a few of these things also came to check. He disconnected the Ethernet...Coaxial Cable at diffeerent stages. That kept the connections longer ( for 5 minutes) before reverting. He said it seems like there are conflicting signals but he couldn't find them.... My only other solution seems to be to buy a Wifi Adapter. Any Ideas before I spend the 40 bucks?

0 Likes
Re: Desktop ethernet can't connect correctly to router
jonjones1
Legend

Loss of signal is nothing that is caused by wifi.

my best guess is a 

1- Bad router

2- Bad twisted pair from the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) (technician supplied ethernet to the Quantum Gateway Router G1100)

3- Incorrect setup of the Quantum router.

I would have reset the router to factory and then hooked the ethernet cable from the ONT into the WAN port then wait for the light to turn white. After DNS is established you can then attach your computer directly into the available LAN ports. After the computer/laptop receives an IP address you can then test your computer.

0 Likes
Re: Desktop ethernet can't connect correctly to router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried another port on router?

Do you have any other devices that you can try to connect via ethernet to see if they have the same issue?

How old is PC?

Did you have a previous router with another provider that worked ok?

0 Likes