Desperate need for FIOS installation info
need_fios_info
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been informed that my service will be cut off in two weeks unless I schedule update to fiber, I currently have POTS and DSL in Montgomery county Maryland.

I have spent past month trying to get basic info from Verizon so I can plan for this but getting no help. The only thing I have gotten from them is that the ONT must be installed inside the house in either basement or garage (despite the fact that my neighbors all seem to have it outside).

I have some questions:

1 - If ONT in installed in the basement, can the data cable (coax or RJ) can be sent back outside to go to around the house to the room where router needs to be, and brought back in through exterior wall (in similar fashion to how CATV is provided)?

2 - I have read that they will not fish cables. Assuming they can bring data cable through exterior wall into family room,  I still need to route cable from to router on other side of family room (through fireplace cabinets) in advance, but I would need to know the type of cable in advance (CAT5e, 75 ohm coax, 50 ohm coax?)

3 - If ONT is installed in basement, but not near NID, will POTS lines will be sent back outside and routed around the house to NID?

4- Can fiber be routed directly into family room with ONT placed inside cabinets beside fireplace? This would have fiber enter into living space of room, in similar fashion to CATV cables. Are there concerns about bend radius?  Is this fiber cable more fragile than CATV cables (bumping with vacuum etc)? Or must it be installed in either basement or garage?

5 - Exactly how big is the ONT & power supply? If they are wall mounted in basement, can a cabinet be provided that hides all wiring from view, and allows all wiring to go into wall behind cabinet? Or are we stuck with all of the dangling wires?

The reason for the questions is that the section of the basement inside of location of NID (and electrical) is finished, I would have to open drywall to reach exterior access hole. (and repair at my own expense).

There is a section of basement that is not finished, but it is not near NID. In both cases I would rather not have wires hanging from wall where kids can pull on them.

Many thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Desperate need for FIOS installation info
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If ONT is installed in the basement yes a data wire can be ran back outside to Family room. Verizon now runs cat5e or cat6 to router from ONT. So if you do run the wire just make sure you are using CMX Outdoor rated cable with solid conductors not stranded. Basically the kind you buy with pre-terminated end is not outdoor rated and will usually have stranded conductors. And it won't last, the sheath will rot over time alot faster that outdoor rated. I would also run RG6 75 Ohm since you will need it if you ever get TV service.

They will also tie in you phone line either back at the NID if need be and will also use outdoor rated cable to do so if in the basement.

You can run fiber into the Family room although I would recommend against it because if anything happens to your fiber they will typically have to run the whole thing over because when splicing fiber you normally need a foot of cable from both sides.

My ONT is about 9 inches by 6 inches and an inch thick. About the size of a router. Power supply is even smaller. My ONT is inside the garage and is Alcatel 211ML is you want to look at it online. Hopefully that is the one they will use for your house.

From what I see from all your previous posts I think I would probably be easier to put the ONT outside and run short piece of cable to nid. Then run cat6 exterior to Family room and run power to unfinished part of basement. But if you do want ONT in the basement then you would just need to run the cable to nid and Family room. ONT also supposed to be grounded with 10 gauge wire which also will need to be ran out if ONT goes inside. I saw on previous posts that Verizon does prefer ONT installations inside as first choice.

I also have a question for you. You say you have data and phone jacks at every location. Are both ran with cat5e and homeran back to a termination point. If so you could convert the phone jack to data and use that to feed to the other data lines and install a data switch.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

DEPends on if you are getting just internet or internet, tv and phone or combination of both or neither.

if this is internet only, it is possible it is one of the newer small size of a g1100 gateway router which can be placed anywhere in the home where there is an electrical outlet for power. You could have them come in from the outside (they can drill a small hole and fill it with weatherproof gel) the older outside wall mounted ont’s you could have it done same way. I had them drill from outside to a back room where there was a power outlet and UPS battery backup. I then ran cat6 from the ont to my own personal router.

now if you have tv and phone they can still put the smaller ont into any space you wish again with power outlet. For tv the run coaxial from ont to set top box where you can decide how you want it run. They will work with you.

by the way verizon does not include the old battery backup so thats not an issue.

the power supply is an electrical cord plugged into a wall outlet.

need_fios_info
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the feedback,

This will be for phone and Internet only (no TV). When they run data cable from ONT, can this include going back outside and running it along exterior? There is no way to route a cable from my basement to my family room inside the house.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

It can be placed anywhere you want. Doesn’t have to be a basement all that is needed is an electrical outlet.

need_fios_info
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would prefer ONT in basement if they are able to run data cable back outside, and have it re-enter house in family room. I need to know if this is an option. Even if I agree to have ONT in family room wouldn't POTS need to go back outside to get to NID?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your current NID outside?

They may put the ONT ouside the house.

Mine is mounted on the side of my house.

You will need to talk to tech to see how they will run the ethernet for your Internet access.

jonjones1
Legend

@need_fios_info wrote:

I would prefer ONT in basement if they are able to run data cable back outside, and have it re-enter house in family room. I need to know if this is an option. Even if I agree to have ONT in family room wouldn't POTS need to go back outside to get to NID?

I believe the verizon tech over at dslreports stated it was no problem, and that they handle the whole situation for the customers. You should be ok. Not to worry !

need_fios_info
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does "handle the whole situation for customers" include removing drywall from basement ceiling then replacing and painting when done? I don't think so, but this is what would need to be done for preferred basement install. I would have been willing to facilitate this if I knew in advance what the plan was, but I am not going to open drywall then have them decide to do something else.

I spend time yesterday drilling holes in cabinets to provide path for cables to get from wall to router. Will they fish cables through? From what I have read on forums, the installers do not fish cables. I suspect they will drop cables on floor in plain sight in front of my fireplace. I would have pre-installed cables if I had known cable type (cat5e or coax) but I can't even get a straight answer on this.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

No it means they will find the best solution for the install.

the guy i used almost three years ago wanted to put it in a spare room, but i said drill a hole along the bass board we fished the power and rj45 ethernet cable through. I had him mount the ONT above where the hole was drilled on the outside. I had a ups and power outlet right at the incoming lines. I then had him run the ethernet to my customer owned router with a load of slack. 

He was very accommodating and took maybe 30 minutes to full system complete.

alrhough they are not required to take tips, i gave him a huge tip for helping me.

he would not leave until all was working. Great installer and no complaints.

stop worrying and let them do their jobs.

they have done a gazillion installs over the years. 

need_fios_info
Enthusiast - Level 3

My problem is that I cannot do my job, which is to prepare the house so that the installer can do what I want without burdening them. Problem is that getting basic info about what can and can't be done is like pulling teeth. For example, if they run the RJ or coax outside of the house they may be required by code to ground the ONT to something other than the 3rd prong of the DC power brick inside the house. This was a big issue in New York a few years ago. This means they need to hook into existing ground rod at NID or have access to a water pipe?

After a gizillion installs they should have been able to provide more than "we will put it in the best place". With DSL, I currently have wired Ethernet in every room in my house that has a phone jack. I am losing this, so what's best for me is not so obvious and depends a lot on their installation capabilities and constraints.

0 Likes