Destination Host Unreachable
Sobe74

I just had FiOS installed (Internet and TV) and have had more difficulty setting up my home network with the Verizon 9100EM router. 

I have simplified my network to isolate the issue but it's still there.  Here is my setup at the bare minimum:  2 Windows 7 Desktops, Verizon 9100EM router, and Brother 2070N network printer.  I also have a 5-port switch connected to the router that both desktops connect to.  The printer is connected directly to the router.  Here is a diagram to help.

(192.168.1.1)

Router ----------------------- Switch ------ Desktop A (192.168.1.4)

|                                           \

|                                             \

Printer                                       Desktop B (192.168.1.5)

(192.168.1.8)

All on 255.255.255.0 subnet and 192.168.1.1 DNS

Desktop A and B can ping eachother and the router just fine but when I try to ping the printer from either desktop I get a "Destination Host Unreachable" error. 

The router can ping both computers and printer with no issue.

I have tried what feels like everything but I am probably missing something in the router setup or something simple??

Please help...I really don't want to waste anymore brain cells on this.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Destination Host Unreachable
prisaz
Legend

Do you have both the printer and the second switch plugged into lan ports on the router, and not one plugged into the WAN port?

All the lan ports on the router are just like a switch and it should be seamless connected to the second switch.

0 Likes
Sobe74

Yes, both the switch and the printer are connected to the LAN ports on the router. 

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Getting a destination host unreachable is really strange.  It doesn't make sense why you get that message if everything in on the same LAN.  What kind of switch are you using? 

0 Likes
Sobe74

I am using a D-Link switch.  I am stumped too on why both desktops (which are on the other side of the switch) can ping the router but not the printer.  I have replaced the router with Verizon thinking it was faulty but the new one is doing the same thing.   

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Are you able to swap the printer and PC and see if the problem still exists?  Are you using DHCP for all users and the printer?

0 Likes
Sobe74

I orginally had one of my desktops (A) connected directly to the router along with the printer.  At that time I could communicate between the desktop (A) and printer but not the other desktop (B) still on the other side of the switch.  I would lean toward the switch being bad but everything connected directly to the switch can communicate properly.  The problem is when it goes all the way back to communicate with anything connected to the router.

Yes, I am using DHCP.  Anything hard wired is set to a static ip.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Can the devices that are connected to the switch get out to the internet?

Does the switch have an IP address?  Also from the PC connected behind the switch connect to 192.168.1.1 with a browser and confirm you can access the Verizon Router.  

If you are successful then from PC at the DOS prompt type:  tracert <printer.ip.address> and see where it fails.

Also, try to ping the router, other PC and the printer and then from the dos prompt type: arp -a

Confirm the MAC address listed for 192.168.1.1 is indeed the Verizon router.  There should be a sticker on the bottom of router with MAC address.

0 Likes
Sobe74

Yes...all devices connected to the switch can access the internet.

Switch does not have an ip address.  Yes computers behind the switch can access the router (192.168.1.1).

From Desktop A I ran the tracert 192.168.1.8 and this is what I get:

1 Desktop A [192.168.1.4] reports:  Destination host unreachable.

Trace complete.

From Desktop A, I pinged the router (successful), Desktop B (successful), printer (destination host unreachable).

arp -a returns all ip addresses except the printer.

Again, just so you don't think I'm crazy, I pinged the printer from the router admin site and got this:

Ping (ICMP Echo)
Destination:     192.168.1.8     
Number of pings:     
Packets:     4/4 transmitted, 4/4 received, 0% loss
Round Trip Time:     Minimum = 1 ms
Maximum = 27 ms
Average = 7 ms

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are those DHCP assigned addresses or did you define them as fixed addresses? I mean 192.168.1.4    5   and 8

What does ipconfig /all show for one of the desktop machines.

0 Likes