Re: Destination Host Unreachable
Sobe74

They were assigned by the router and then I went into the router and made them static in the DHCP table. 

Hopefully that is what you were asking.  I didn't mess with any of the TCP/IP settings on the computers or printer.  They are still set to obtain their IP address automatically.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help so far!  Hopefully we can get this resolved.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sobe74 wrote:

They were assigned by the router and then I went into the router and made them static in the DHCP table. 

Hopefully that is what you were asking.  I didn't mess with any of the TCP/IP settings on the computers or printer.  They are still set to obtain their IP address automatically.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help so far!  Hopefully we can get this resolved.

How do you make them static in the DHCP table?  The only way I know to do that is to reassign the dhcp range and then change the client end to NOT obtain an address automatically.  Doing that will automatically make them static in the DHCP connection table.  Not sure what the effect is of leaving the client as automatic and changing the dhcp connections table to static.

Whatever.  I am using a Westell router with an 8 port switch connected to it.  I have a server defined at a static address on the switch, it shows up as static in the dhcp table, and I can access with no issues.  I can also access the server from a secondary lan via a second router connected to the switch.  I modified the dhcp server assignation range on the router to leave me a range of numbers that I could use for static addresses.  Machines that are connecting using automatic dhcp assignation can also see the server with no problems. 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just realized I'm not exactly the same as I don't have anything other than the switch connected to the router.

Whne I get back later this pm I'll reconfigure it and connect a machine to the router and see what I get then.

0 Likes
Sobe74

On the DHCP Connection screen under Action you can edit any of the connections and make the Lease Type "Static".  After initially doing that I went back in like you did and set the DHCP Server addresses to start at 192.168.1.11 for future connections (wireless laptops, iPhones, etc).

I too don't have any issues connecting to anything on the other side of my switch.  It's anything connected to the switch communicating with the printer which is directly connected to the router (like the switch).  Viafax999, do you have anything else directly connected to the router besides the 8-port switch? 

0 Likes
Sobe74

If it's not too much trouble, that would be great!  Thanks again for your help!

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I just installed a Netgear hub and placed my wired laptop into the hub and could successfully ping all my devices on my network.  

Have you tried to factory default the Verizon Router?  Is the switch manageable?  Is there anything in the switch configuration that is blocking traffic?

0 Likes
Sobe74

Switch is not managable.  Just a normal 5-port switch.  I have tried several times to factory default the router but same issue exists after the reset. 

The exact setup worked fine with my old D-Link wireless router setup the same way.

jumpin68ny, just out of curiosity, what else do you have directly connected to the Verizon router besides the Netgear hub? 

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Oh I have a bunch of stuff.

I have a laptop, Desktop, Blue-Ray Player, Vonage Router.  On wireless I have 2 more laptops, my HD TV, an I-touch.

Additionally connected to the Vonage Router is my company's VOIP telephone which creates a VPN tunnel to give me dial tone.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sobe74 wrote:

If it's not too much trouble, that would be great!  Thanks again for your help!

Hardwired a laptop to the router, tried 2 different ports.  Connection comes up for about 30 seconds then goes down.  Disables everything for the rest of the internal network.  Thought it might be the laptop ethernet port but it works OK when I connect it to my dlink router.

Need the VPN connectivity so have disconnected it and will look at it later.  There does seem to be a problem.  Wonder if it's a Westell router issue.

I have a couple of spare Linksys routers laying around.  Have configured one to another unique address and will try connecting the laptop to it and then hardwiring it to the Westell and see what happens.

0 Likes
Sobe74

Thanks for the update!  That is exactly my issue.  It worked for maybe 1 minute and then went down for good.  I have tried multiple setups trying to isolate where it is breaking and it keep coming back to the Westell router.

Let me know what you find with the other router.

Last night I hard wired a laptop into the Westell router and could print fine.  Could even print when connected wirelessly to the router.

My summary so far of what devices can print and which one's cannot (destination host unreachable when pinging printer) .

(192.168.1.1)                                                     (Unmanaged)

Router --------------------------------------------------- Switch ------------ Desktop A (192.168.1.4) NO **

|    \_______                                                              \

|                    \                                                              \

Printer                 Laptop (192.168.1.12) YES                   Desktop B (192.168.1.5)  NO **

(192.168.1.8)

\/

Laptop - Wireless (192.168.1.11) YES

** Both desktops can ping router and access Internet just fine.

0 Likes