Re: Destination Host Unreachable
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

HHHmmmmm....Is it safe to say the switch support 100 full on the speed and duplex?  If it comes up and goes down maybe there is an auto-negotion issue between the VZ router and the Switch.

Try hard coding the port to 100 full.  To do this go to advanced, port configuration and whatever the port the switch is plugged into change it to 100 full duplex (assuming the switch supports 100 full).

See if that does anything.

Jim

0 Likes
Sobe74

It doesn't allow you to force the settings but the status says it is connected @ 100.0 Mbps Full-Dulpex anyway.  Checked the switch and it supports 10/100 Mbps full-duplex. 

When I get home I am going to try and use my old wireless router (after turning off DHCP) in place of the switch to see if I get the same results.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Weird why you can't change the setting.  I was able to change mine though I do have the actiontec router.

Look forward to hearing back your testing.  Also, make sure you connect from the VZ Router to your router using the LAN port.

Jim

0 Likes
Sobe74

Hooked up the D-Link DI-624 straight to the Westell router, hard wired a laptop into the DI-624 to try and print, and sigh...same result. 

Don't know what else to try at this point.  Any additional things to try are greatly appreciated!! 

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

are you consistently using the same port on the westell router to the switch?  if yes try using a different port.

0 Likes
Sobe74

Unfortunately I have tried all LAN ports on the back of both the Verizon rounter and the other switches/access points.  Still the same issue.  I guess I will be running another line from the printer to the switch to get this to work.  I was really trying to avoid that but looks like that may be my only option at this point.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I'm wondering if there is an issue with the Westell device?  When I tested with the netgear hub I didn't reboot anything I just moved cables around.  I am using the Actiontec router.  Maybe I will shut everything off and try testing that way.

I'm curious though, are you using the switch because you want to extend the range to a different room or you don't have enough ports?  Maybe if all else fails, have you tried to discuss this with tech support?

Jim

0 Likes
Sobe74

I am using the switch because the line from the ONT comes into my office, which is on the other side of my house from the rest of the desktops and XBox360 that I want hard wired..  Decided to just run 1 wire to the switch instead of 3 back to the Router.  Again, this all worked fine with the old D-Link DI-624 wireless router I had before FiOS.

Tech support...funny!  I must have gotten the wrong guy but I explained the issue and he said they don't support anything past being able to get an Internet connection (so basically only support 1/3 of the functionality).  Since I get an Internet connection with all devices I was at a dead-end with this particular agent.  Asked for another person and after a couple back and forths he transferred me to upper-level support that would at least listen to my issue.  He agreed to send out another router (next day) and had my fingers crossed but as I mentioned earlier in this post...didn't make a difference.  Same problem as first Westell router.

Any disadvantage between Actiontec router and Westell router if I could talk them into sending me and Actiontec?  Since I am new to FiOS, not sure if that would even be possible or what the proper protocol for that to happen would be.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I'm not sure what the difference is. I was told the menu is the same regardless of the router you have.  Not sure though.  The actiontec router is a 4 port switch with wireless.  Not sure else to say between the actiontec and westell.

Jim

0 Likes
xp1

In case anyone else runs into this still very relevant issue, here is my problem and solution. I have a static IP on a wireless laptop and a wired desktop. No switches--just a Verizon router. I cannot ping my laptop from my desktop. But I can ping my desktop from my laptop. Once I do that, I have connectivity from the desktop to the laptop for about 30 sec to a minute, when I lose it again. Another ping from the laptop, and it works again... for another minute.

The problem seems to be the Verizon router model.

The generic solution was found here: http://www.flaterco.com/kb/Fios.html. Unfortunately, he didn't explain how to do the static ARP.

I ran into a problem with arp -s <laptop ip> <laptop mac> <desktop ip> under Windows 7. It said access denied (under elevated cmd).

The solution to that problem was found here: http://superuser.com/questions/101293/windows-7-the-arp-entry-addition-failed-access-is-denied

This command worked:

netsh interface ip add neighbors "Local Area Connection" "192.168.1.201" "00-09-5B-97-E3-6F"

where "Local Area Connection" is the friendly name of my network interface card (if you do ipconfig/all), the IP is the one of the unreachable laptop, and the 00-... etc is the laptop's MAC.  The double quotes are required.

There was also a way to set that as a permanent entry, but I could not get the syntax to work.

0 Likes