Determine when my dynamic IP address will be renewed for FIOS
Qwiz

Hello,

I want to determine when my dynamic, external IP address will be renewed with a new IP address (using FIOS).

I prefer to have a dynamic IP address, but I also frequently connect to my home computer via remote desktop through Hamachi.  I have finally gotten a configuration on the actiontec that will allow me to issue wake-on-lan and boot up my computer, however I need to know my external IP address to do so.   I want to avoid the headache of being at work and my IP address is renewed to a new one and I can no longer boot my computer.  If i know when a new IP address is coming I can plan ahead.

I have been running on the same IP for several days now and the router said my lease was going to last for a little under two hours.  I released and then renewed the IP address, got a new external IP, and the new lease says it only lasts two hours.  So I definitely did not have my IP address renewed every two hours earlier this week.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Determine when my dynamic IP address will be renewed for FIOS
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whil you could figure out when your lease will expire, you will still have issues since you won't know when the lease will be re-issued on the same address or more importantly when Verizon might make a network change which will cause you to get a different address (including prior to a lease expiration by forcing a reload of your router).

The best way to do this is to use DynDNS or one of a variety of other dynamic DNS providers.   You install a small client on your home machine and it monitors the public facing IP of your connection and updates a DNS address for you (you can register a unique name for your address in one of their DNS domains).  The service is free (although they have add-on services you can choose to pay for if you need them, but for your purposes the free service will do the trick).

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whil you could figure out when your lease will expire, you will still have issues since you won't know when the lease will be re-issued on the same address or more importantly when Verizon might make a network change which will cause you to get a different address (including prior to a lease expiration by forcing a reload of your router).

The best way to do this is to use DynDNS or one of a variety of other dynamic DNS providers.   You install a small client on your home machine and it monitors the public facing IP of your connection and updates a DNS address for you (you can register a unique name for your address in one of their DNS domains).  The service is free (although they have add-on services you can choose to pay for if you need them, but for your purposes the free service will do the trick).

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Qwiz wrote:

Hello,

I want to determine when my dynamic, external IP address will be renewed with a new IP address (using FIOS).

I prefer to have a dynamic IP address, but I also frequently connect to my home computer via remote desktop through Hamachi.  I have finally gotten a configuration on the actiontec that will allow me to issue wake-on-lan and boot up my computer, however I need to know my external IP address to do so.   I want to avoid the headache of being at work and my IP address is renewed to a new one and I can no longer boot my computer.  If i know when a new IP address is coming I can plan ahead.

I have been running on the same IP for several days now and the router said my lease was going to last for a little under two hours.  I released and then renewed the IP address, got a new external IP, and the new lease says it only lasts two hours.  So I definitely did not have my IP address renewed every two hours earlier this week.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It hardly ever changes but who cares anyway.

Get a DynDNS account (free) and enter the details into the router setup and then you can address by name and DynDNS will automatically update whenever the IP changes.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh yeah ... I see the AT has a DynDNS client already on it (Advanced -> Dynamic DNS).   Setup the DynDNS account then put the account credentials and DNS address selected in that screen and set it to update on Broadband-Coax (provided your connection from your router to the ONT is via Coax) and you're good to go. 

Hemingray
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you're using Hamachi, there's no need to worry about your dynamic IP. Hamachi IPs are all static and work just the same no matter what your FiOS IP is.

0 Likes