Devices unable to connect to internet, although connected to wireless
CherBucky
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a new iPad2 and a Kindle fire that I am trying to connect to my home's wi-fi.  They seem to connect to the wireless network, but they are not able to connect to the internet.  I have tried Apple and Kindle forums and they all suggest rebooting the router, changing various settings on the router, and I believe I tried them all.  I have 2 laptops connected to the wi-fi with no issues at all.  Any suggestions?  I find it odd that both devices are having issue so assume it has something to do with my router.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Devices unable to connect to internet, although connected to wireless
CherBucky
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got it to work!  Here is what I did, posting because I have seen so many others with the same issue..  Many of the suggestions were right on, I was just not sure how to completely change the router.  So, from my Wireless Broadband Router Manager go to Wireless settings.

Basic Security Settings - choose Advanced (WPA/WPA2, 802.1x)

Then go to Advanced Security Settings - choose WPA/WPA2

This will open another page where you create a new encryption key for your wireless.

I stopped at the ADVANCED security section because it messaged that changes should only be made here by an advanced  technical user.  I did not really fit that so was nervous to modify the settings.  That was where it was all hiding though.

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are both devices getting a valid IP address or are they receiving a 169.254.*.* address? Do they also have valid Default Gateway, Subnet Mask and DNS Information being presented?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

What security are you using on the wifi connection?

Think there are some issues with those devices using WEP  and you may want to try WPA or WPA/2

prisaz
Legend

I agree with viafax999. WEP is weak anyway. I have had ipod 3, Iphone4, and 4S connected to the Verizon router with no issues. I would not use WEP. Do not know about Kindle.

CherBucky
Enthusiast - Level 2

Both devices were getting the 169.254 so I forced a static IP of 192.xxx.x.x.  I also forced the Subnet Mask and DNS info as suggested in another forum on the Apple web site..  still no luck..

0 Likes
CherBucky
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just changed my router settings to WAP/WAP2 and when my device is trying to obtain the IP address I now get an error message of "unable to connect to the selected access point."  Will keep at it!  Odd that all my other devices work fine on the wireless.  I even tried turning off my other devices (only have 2 laptops) to see if it was getting drained by the other devices.

Back to the drawing board!  I appreciate the insight you have offered!

0 Likes
CherBucky
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got it to work!  Here is what I did, posting because I have seen so many others with the same issue..  Many of the suggestions were right on, I was just not sure how to completely change the router.  So, from my Wireless Broadband Router Manager go to Wireless settings.

Basic Security Settings - choose Advanced (WPA/WPA2, 802.1x)

Then go to Advanced Security Settings - choose WPA/WPA2

This will open another page where you create a new encryption key for your wireless.

I stopped at the ADVANCED security section because it messaged that changes should only be made here by an advanced  technical user.  I did not really fit that so was nervous to modify the settings.  That was where it was all hiding though.

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is great to hear/read. Please consider marking your post as solved.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's nothing super advanced about the Advanced Wireless settings. If anything goes wrong, they are easy to undo. The fact that you can change the security from WEP to WPA2 and get the devices up and running means you've got the info needed to tinker with the Advanced settings. That's how I see it. Only thing you'll find in there relate to the modes the Wireless radio will operate in, SSID Broadcast and MAC Address Filtering.

0 Likes
RonD504

I am having the same problems.  iPad, iPhone, and iPod will not connect to the wireless network.  Have changed to WPA2, no luck.  All say "incorrect password" 

0 Likes