Re: Did not order upgrade.
Mike_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

The new FiOS Quantum Upgrade was added to empty channels 92, 201, 500, 557, and 702.  If you go to any of these channels you will be given the option to upgrade your package to 50/25.  Once on this channel you would need to select OK to upgrade now then OK again to accept terms of service then you would also need to Down Arrow to where it says Yes-Upgrade Now and press OK a 3rd time before the upgrade process will start.  You can not accidentally upgrade the package just by going to the channel and click one button or repeatedly press OK.  You can however block purchases by using parental control features.  This will prevent anyone from choosing the upgrade option from a TV in the home.  To get to parental controls press Menu > Settings > Parental Controls and enable parental controls and turn on the Control Purchases option to block the upgrade feature without the use of the parental control pin.

Thank you,

Justin46
Legend

@Mike_VZ wrote:

The new FiOS Quantum Upgrade was added to empty channels 92, 201, 500, 557, and 702.  If you go to any of these channels you will be given the option to upgrade your package to 50/25.  Once on this channel you would need to select OK to upgrade now then OK again to accept terms of service then you would also need to Down Arrow to where it says Yes-Upgrade Now and press OK a 3rd time before the upgrade process will start.  You can not accidentally upgrade the package just by going to the channel and click one button or repeatedly press OK.  You can however block purchases by using parental control features.  This will prevent anyone from choosing the upgrade option from a TV in the home.  To get to parental controls press Menu > Settings > Parental Controls and enable parental controls and turn on the Control Purchases option to block the upgrade feature without the use of the parental control pin.

Thank you,

Excellent post Mike! Just to verify the process you described I went through the steps to block purchases with the Parental Controls, seems perfect. But I am not going to try to go through the complete Quantum Upgrade process itself just to verify that I am now blocked like I should be.... Smiley Very Happy

I wonder if there is some process you can use to make this information more widely available beyond just seeing it in a thread in the Forums? This is good info that needs to be spread far and wide.

Keller, TX 76248

jdmaxell1
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Mike_VZ wrote:

Thank you,

Thanks Mike.  Your reply confirms that something is up on Verizon's side.  Not only do i have parental locks on my Fios STB's, but no user in my house would go through those steps.  Also, 95% of my family TV watching is done on tivos with cable cards.  Better chance of winning a lottery ten times in a row, then be upgraded on my side.  Could  cable cards cause confusion on the Verizon network to cause automatic upgrade?  Please pass along to engineering. Thanks

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Thanks for the update Mike.

Now I am worried. I have only one CHS-335HDC STB locked down in guest room, but have 2 cable cards, in a Microsoft Media Center Server I built. Like my 8 tuners, 2TB of storage, and 3 extenders. Now I hope I don't get downgraded from 75/35 to 50/20. I Think with Media Center I can remove channels. But The CableCARDS are one way and do not use the IMG. I have noticed some of the server connections look the same. The CableCARDS do still connect? Of at least get the channel listings, and / or encryption codes from te server(s). Though I believe Tivo and Media Center get the Channel listings from Verizon, and then they send them out. I see no way a Tivo could subscribe to anything. I had one for a few years.

Best Regards

prisaz

0 Likes
stimpy47
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did not order the upgrade either..  I am the one that does all this kind of stuff in my household.  I DO have a number that you need to poke in to order movies, so I don't see why that should not have applied to the quantum.. I am going to complain to the BBB as should everyone else on this board.. either give it to us free since we did not order it. Or give us an equal speed we had before hand (which conveniently is not available).  How can  A and C be available, and Not B ??? There is a middle!  

Oh, and I try to email them, as I spoke with a rep via the online chat tool.. but the "contact us" link doen'st work either.. "bad request" it tells me.. grrr

0 Likes
Jbarrow11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mike !

You , like other Verizon employees,  totally failed to address the real problem.

The change is an increase in costs and Verizon refused to change her back to her old speed.

Another attempt by Verizon as well as Comcast to **bleep** customers with "we can  not fix it"

Truth is Verizon plans to upgrade everyone and get more money !!

0 Likes
erider81

this scam just happened to me this morning. i woke up to an email sent to me at 5:04 am saying please verify your order. which there was NOTHING to do in that email that would allow me to verify or not verify. then 3 minutes later received another email saying your speed order has been completed. Since I'm the only one in my house and im pretty sure i was sleeping at that time this is a definite typical Verizon shady business practice.  I dropped their wireless service years ago due to their shady scams and now it looks like the same is about to happen for fios.  Was anyone able to reverse this? of course i called customer service right away and i got a message saying they are closed. 

0 Likes