Different download speed on two computers in the house
purcy

We just got the FIOS triple bundle installed at our house yesterday and everything seems to be working fine. But there is something that is stumping me, and also stumped the installation tech. My husband and I both own IBM Thinkpad T23 laptops, they are identical in specifications and setup. The tech configured my laptop for the new router using his configuration wizard and after it was completed I was happily surfing the net at a high speed. A few minutes later, I set up my husband's laptop to connect to the router using the new SSID and WEP key and got him on the internet, but it seemed his pages were loading much slower. So I did a speed test on both of our laptops (both are used wirelessly) on speakeasy.net, and my computer is getting 9.8Mg down and 2.5 up - pretty darn good for wireless. However, my husband's identical computer is only getting 4.4Mg down and 2.5 up. The tech was still here cleaning up so I asked him, he said he never saw anything like that before on two computers in the same house and called his support #. The guy told him We could run the FIOS Optimizer on my husband's computer, which we did. But the speeds are the exact same, no improvement. I must add here, that these speeds are reported using the Firefox browser. The tech suggested using IE once to check, so I did. My speeds were the same as before - 9.8 up, 2.5 down. My husband's improved slightly using IE, they went up to 6+ Mg up and 2.5 down. My question is 1) why the speed difference in our two computers if they are identical and 2) why the difference between the two browsers? We both run Windows XP Prof, SP2.

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
Re: Different download speed on two computers in the house
prisaz
Legend

When running the connection wizard, and installation software it runs the Optimizer for TCP settings in the computer. When only entering the SSID and key to gain access, your computer may not be configured for the optimum speed on FIOS. You can run that tool from the install disk, or go to this thread that includes the link.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&message.id=3048&query.id=48150#M...

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Another thing that you might want to try is turn your laptop off completely and just run your husband's laptop alone to test.  It could be that your laptop might be interfering with his signal.  The joys of wireless hehe.

If it works, good -- least you can tell him your laptop > his.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
purcy
Prisaz, thanks for the information. I just ran that little utility on his computer, rebooted it and tested it both in Firefox and IE, and got 9.7Mg down  in both browers!!  That really did the trick, thanks
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@purcy wrote:
Prisaz, thanks for the information. I just ran that little utility on his computer, rebooted it and tested it both in Firefox and IE, and got 9.7Mg down  in both browers!!  That really did the trick, thanks
Glad I could help. And your welcome. Welcome to the Verizon forums. This is a good place to find information. Have a good evening.
Message Edited by prisaz on 04-23-2009 09:19 PM
0 Likes