Different upload and download speeds--very slow upload speed
MBK12

I should have a 25/25 Mbps FIOS connection.  Verizon's own speed test (http://my.verizon.com/micro/Speedtest/broadband/) consistently says that I have 25 to 30 MBPS download speeds (on multiple computers) but only about 10 MBPS (sometimes much  less) upload.  Other non-Verizon speed test services, however, usually, but not always, say that I have a reasonable speed and that upload and download speeds are similar.  I also have trouble using Sprint's Airave (a femtocell-essentially a mini cell tower for the home plugged into FIOS)--sound quality is very poor.  Sprint refers me to a line test site (http://www.8x8.com/Resources/Tools/VoIPTest.aspx) that consistently says I have very poor  "Quality of Service," supposedly Quality of Service too low to use VOIP.  Sprint says that that is why the Airave does not work.

So, Verizon's own speed test says I have much lower upload speed than I should and Sprint's test says I have poor line quality/quality of service on my line.  I suspect a problem.  Verizon sends a tech over, who looks at other speed test sites which show that I have normal speed which he says proves that my line is fine.  He says Verizon's own speed test site is wrong and unreliable and I should ignore it (again, this is a Verizon tech).  He also says that Sprint's test is wrong.  I complaint to Verizon again, get the same tech who says the same thing.

I had understood that Verizon's speed test was the most accurate for measuring FIOS speed since it was within Verizon's network.  In fact, I have been told this over the phone by Verizon tech support.   Is the Verizon tech right--should I ignore Verizon speedtest results over many months that say I have horrible upload speed?

0 Likes
Re: Different upload and download speeds--very slow upload speed
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@MBK1 wrote:

I should have a 25/25 Mbps FIOS connection.  Verizon's own speed test (http://my.verizon.com/micro/Speedtest/broadband/) consistently says that I have 25 to 30 MBPS download speeds (on multiple computers) but only about 10 MBPS (sometimes much  less) upload.  Other non-Verizon speed test services, however, usually, but not always, say that I have a reasonable speed and that upload and download speeds are similar.  I also have trouble using Sprint's Airave (a femtocell-essentially a mini cell tower for the home plugged into FIOS)--sound quality is very poor.  Sprint refers me to a line test site (http://www.8x8.com/Resources/Tools/VoIPTest.aspx) that consistently says I have very poor  "Quality of Service," supposedly Quality of Service too low to use VOIP.  Sprint says that that is why the Airave does not work.

So, Verizon's own speed test says I have much lower upload speed than I should and Sprint's test says I have poor line quality/quality of service on my line.  I suspect a problem.  Verizon sends a tech over, who looks at other speed test sites which show that I have normal speed which he says proves that my line is fine.  He says Verizon's own speed test site is wrong and unreliable and I should ignore it (again, this is a Verizon tech).  He also says that Sprint's test is wrong.  I complaint to Verizon again, get the same tech who says the same thing.

I had understood that Verizon's speed test was the most accurate for measuring FIOS speed since it was within Verizon's network.  In fact, I have been told this over the phone by Verizon tech support.   Is the Verizon tech right--should I ignore Verizon speedtest results over many months that say I have horrible upload speed?

IMO the VZ test is the most accurate.

Sounds like you are hardwired,   Do the vz speedtest again and this time click on details and post those results here. 

0 Likes
MBK12

Below are my speed test results from another computer in my home.  it is a wired connection:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [8192]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 9.40Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 29.40Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_31

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 64240 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 15.02 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.31% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 20.23% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 79.31% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF
Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says {edited for privacy}but Client says [192.168.1.13]

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you need to optimize, your settings are too low.

www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings/optimizer/

0 Likes
MBK12

Thanks much.  That (using the Verizon configuration utility) seemed to fix this I am getting 22 mb upload, 30 MB download (still have a lower upload speed than download speed, don't' know if this is normal).  So the Verizon tech who told me that the Verizon speed test was irrelevant was full of garbage.

But any idea why the test at  http://voiptest.8x8.com/ test (which Sprint says to use to measure whether your internet connection can handle an airave) is telling me  that I have poor "Quality of service" ("46%" it says) on my internet connection.  I am not quite sure what "quality of service" is measuring.  I often get very poor quality voice calls when using the airave and Sprint says that my poor quality of service is the problem.

I had thought that my airave problem and my low upload speed, as measured on the Verizon test, were related, but apparently not.

Any idea what the poor quality of service means and whether there is any way that can be fixed?

I have posted current Verizon speed test results below:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 22.28Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 30.60Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_07

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 261360 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 64.44 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
There were 2 packets retransmitted, 229 duplicate acks received, and 178 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 20.47% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 68.01% of the time.
This connection is network limited 11.52% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [redacted] but Client says [192.168.1.7]

0 Likes