Digital Adapter DCT700
domesticdiva

We switched to FIOS around in June 2008 with a DVR box on the main tv.  This made my other tvs inoperable, although one was a new digital.  We had been hooking up by just using coaxial cable and no boxes on these other tvs.  When I called tech support, they said I could have up to 3 digital adapter boxes free.  I ordered them and the shipping date on the order was July 1, 2008.  My husband just handed me our latest Verizon bill and wanted to know why this bill was higher than last month.  Apparently, we lost some promotions, but I noticed that we were being charged $3.99 x 3 for these adapter boxes.  I know I was told they were free, but today the Verizon billing department said they weren't at that time.  If I had known that I was going to be charged, I never would have ordered the ones for the cellar room and for the bedroom.  Does anyone know when these adapters stopped being free?

Sue

0 Likes
Re: Digital Adapter DCT700
Justin46
Legend

Sue,

You got the DCT-700s a year ago and they just started charging you for them now? Wow! Did your bill show a credit for each of them each month, or were they just not on the bill at all until now?

The "free" digital adapters were available in areas where the analog signal was being removed from FiOS so the adapter was required to get the digital signals after that. There were specific time frames for different areas of the country that the free offer was made, as the analog signals were being removed. Any other time they were not free, although I have seen some posts where people were able to convince Verizon to give them some free ones even outside the terms of the promotion - maybe you got yours that way? I of course don't know.  

I have one free DCT-700 that I got when the analog stuff was dropped from FiOS in my area (North Texas). Every month it shows on my bill as $3.99 and then a credit for $3.99. My most recent bill which I just paid yesterday was still the same. As I remember the promotion, the DCT-700s would remain free as long as we kept our FiOS TV service, and so far mine has.

So, I guess the issue is, were you in an area where the free offer was made, and did you take advantage of it during the specific time frame it was available. If yes, then I think they should remain free. If not, I think you are stuck.

Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
domesticdiva
I was being charged all along, but didn't know it since my husband pays the bills.  It was just now when my husband asked me to find out why our bill was so high (we lost 2 promotions) that I noticed we were being charged for the 3 adapters that I know I was told were free.  I live in MA and don't know about any promotions for the adapters because I didn't need them until we changed to FIOS.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Unfortunately, being told by a CSR that they would be free and actually qualifying for the free digital adapter offering may be two different things. Smiley Sad 

The free offering was very specific: if you ALREADY had FiOS TV service in your area BEFORE the analog channels were removed in your area, then you could get, if you asked, up to 3 free digital adapters for use on those TVs where you would lose the ability to see any channels because you weren't using an STB. The time frame was very specific, you would have received a letter from Verizon with the details, including the time frame.

Now I have no idea what the time frame for MA was, but if you qualified you should get them free for as long as you keep FiOS TV at the same address, if not, you shouldn't. Based on the fact that you have been billed all along for them, my guess is that you did not qualify, despite what a rep may have said, and that the removal of the analog channels had already occurred in MA before you got FiOS.

I'm sorry, but I think you are being billed correctly, based on what you have said.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes