Disable wireless security
urza9814

So it looks like the Verizon router will allow you to use WEP or WPA...but not neither. When I disable WEP it turns WPA back on! Is there any way to just have a plain, open wifi access point? This is the only router I've ever heard of that doesn't have that 'feature'...and it's pretty sad when lacking a feature becomes a feature itself.

Edit:

Would probably help to know the router model, huh? It's the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1

0 Likes
Re: Disable wireless security
urza9814

I finally got it to say there is no security enabled by setting the advanced page to WEP, setting that up, then turning it off from the basic page...but now it still broadcasts that it's WPA, and nothing can actually connect to it no matter what I put as the password. What the hell?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Why would you want just an open internet connection to your internal LAN?

Big security issue #1. #2 Allowing others to use Verizon's Internet without paying for it, I am sure is against the Terms of Service.

Now if you had another router, and double NAT with nothing else connected to the Verizon router, I quess security would not be an issue, unless you wanted to assume blame for anything someone else did on the connection.

According to the TOS below. I would say it may be in the firmware, and preventing you from violating the TOS, and requiring a password or some type of security to use the connection. I have not tried to turn it off. But have turned off WiFi completely with no issues.

http://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_policies&id=TOS

3. Restrictions on Use. The Service is a consumer grade service and is not designed for or intended to be used for any commercial purpose. You may not resell, re-provision or rent the Service, (either for a fee or without charge) or allow third parties to use the Service via wired, wireless or other means. For example, you may not provide Internet access to third parties through a wired or wireless connection or use the Service to facilitate public Internet access (such as through a Wi-Fi hotspot), use it for high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute such use (commercial or non-commercial). If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service, but only through a single Verizon-issued IP address. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Disregard. See next post.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I found that there are no settings for turning off security. One or the other. WEP or WAP, no settings for none. Possibly some of the older firmware or routers would allow this. But since Verizon started using WEP and serial number for the password, I believe this was removed. I used to be able to hit 4 FiOS routers when FiOS first started being installed. Everything was wide open by default. Bad for customers and bad for Verizon.

My router is an Actiontec MI424WR2 Rev. F.

0 Likes
rick02040911

how to temporarlly disconect wi fi security

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@rick02040911 wrote:

how to temporarlly disconect wi fi security

Add a double nat'd 2nd router that supports guest access with no security.

I have a dir 655 set up that way and I'm far enough away from the road and other houses that it would be a miracle if anybody other than a guest in the house could see the network - I guess if really paranoid I could make the guest ssid invisible too.

0 Likes
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not tried it but if you delete the password would that not make it open?

0 Likes