Disabling DHCP on my Actiontec MI424WR
Chaise91

First off, let me know if what I am trying to do is against Verizon ToS. Thanks.

Here is what I am going for. I am trying to set up a home domain (non-internet facing) just for the sake of doing something with my time. I have a server which will host the Active Directory rules as well as all the roles. How my network is set up right now, my FiOS router is acting as the DHCP "server" and assigning private IP addresses to all my devices, however I want my actual box server to handle DHCP.

My question is what do I need to disable/enable in the modem/router for my dedicated machine to handle DHCP instead?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Disabling DHCP on my Actiontec MI424WR
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS doesn't use modems. The Actiontec is a router, plain and simple.

To turn off DHCP, login to the router's admin page and, um, turn off DHCP.  It's that simple.  It's under the network configuration for the "Network (Home/Office)."

You'll find this web page helpful:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS doesn't use modems. The Actiontec is a router, plain and simple.

To turn off DHCP, login to the router's admin page and, um, turn off DHCP.  It's that simple.  It's under the network configuration for the "Network (Home/Office)."

You'll find this web page helpful:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Good Luck.

0 Likes
BalaS

Thanks. 

This works fine.

on the router MI424WR -On this page  Network ( Home/Office) 

Change the IP Address Distribution  from DHCP Server to Disabled.

But immediately go above a little and change the below:

1.make sure  Internet Protocol  is set to Use the Following IP Address

2.  set the IP Address below that to 192.168.1.50 or something like that so that you can still access router by typing in  on any browser 192.168.1.50.. Otherwise the default is 192.168.1.1 which is already taken away by your main router....

Then APPLY the changes and reboot the router...

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over five years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes