Disappointed, don’t purchase routers
Goodspeedplz
Enthusiast - Level 1

When you need your internet the most it seems to crash over and over.   Internet keeps going out, we rest Nothen on the line. So wanted to talk upgrading router since I got the quantum gateway which seems to be terrible.   But I purchased it from them because it’s cheaper in the long run.   It when you want to upgrade or anything they don’t have a buy back system so you’re stuck with worthless equipment since they make sure nothing is compatible suck as extenders and such.    Verizon really needs to rethink customer service!

0 Likes
Re: Disappointed, don’t purchase routers
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

or even better if you don't have FIOS TV, do not buy or rent their routers - use your own.

For FIOS TV users, not only use your own router but also put their router (as it required for FIOS TV) into bridge mode.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are your outages happening just with the wireless, or even the wired? The G1100s (what Verizon calls the Quantum Gateway. Black colored router, not White) aren't known to be unstable, except they do have a weaker wireless signal compared to some of the newer (and even older) Routers. There are however some issues which can prop up that make the Wi-Fi drop more often. Like Access Point and Band Steering features, which are a part of the "SON" or "Self Organizing Network" feature the routers started supporting several months ago. Not all devices play with that nicely, so if you haven't tried already and you're 100% sure it is isolated to just the Wi-Fi, turn off SON and rejoin your 5Ghz supporting devices to your now separated 5Ghz Wi-Fi network. Also lock your Wi-Fi Channels to a manual channel, like Channel 149 for 5Ghz and Channel 1 for 2.4Ghz (obviously play with and adjust these channels to see if you get better performance/reliability).

Goodspeedplz
Enthusiast - Level 1

It seems to be fired and WiFi....it’s really annoying!   But I’ll try anything at this point!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did these problems start before or after getting a new router? Your initial post suggests you were trying to upgrade to solve the problem. If you're still having outages with a new router, then we need to look at your environment. For example, is your router connected to the ONT (big Verizon box) by Coax, Ethernet (CAT5e) or both? What model ONT do you have? What do the lights on the router do or show when your connection drops? How often are the disconnects?

Fios issues
Goodspeedplz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is anyone else having issues with their Fios at the moment, because mine had been acting up for a bit now and I’m frustrated.   Just curious if anyone else is having as much trouble as me.

0 Likes
Re: Fios issues
jonjones1
Legend

Really not enough info in your post. What issues are you having? At what times?

is it wifi (which is not guaranteed) or hardwired? Etc.

0 Likes
Goodspeedplz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Dropping internet, wired and wireless.    Constant rebooting of router, slow internet when it works, trouble shooting but no issues when doing that.   All the issues.  Just was trying to see if anyone else is having problems with Fios gen.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I would say your Router is bad and call and have verizon replace it.

verizon routers are crap. But if your have their tv  it is necessary to have those services. There are ways to use your own router and if you google it or go to http://www.dslreports.com/verizon you can see under the FAQ the ways to set it up.

barring that it would need to be troubleshooting via verizon.

0 Likes
Goodspeedplz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don’t have their tv anymore , but I do have tv that relies on the internet.  If I got my own router would I need to get a modem or are most routers combination now a days?

0 Likes