Re: Disconnect every 60 mins
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ha. How old is your ONT? You might need to request a field tech.

When you are contacting a service representative, ask them to see the signal strength on your ONT. Sometimes the wavelengths on the fiber is too weak, which is indicative of loose fiber connection and/or damaged fiber line.

If you need customer service, please contact 24/7/265 Fios support through social media channels (Twitter or Facebook) or online chat. Phone support should be your last resort for saving your precious time and reducing stress on support Centers.

jrmonta
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry I got sidetracked by other things and haven't had a chance to post an update.  First I'll reply to the following

@Cang_Household wrote:

if your Netgear router does not support DHCP, WAN, system status logging, it really takes away a majority of tools that can be used to diagnose the problem. This being said, I don't see a point using your own router over Verizon's G1100. G1100 logs all system statues, security events, firewall accepts/denies, and even has a Syslog server.

My router does support DHCP and WAN status logging, I just didn't have it configured to do so.  Even if it didn't, that isn't reason enough for me to rent a G1100.  I'd rather shop for one of the countless other routers that are available from any number of manufacturers.  Customers are better off when there is open market competition instead of being locked into one of the handful of devices Verizon offers.  Go back far enough in Verizon's history and they were AT&T Bell. That was a time when customers couldn't own the telephones in their own homes.  They had to pay AT&T to rent their home telephone... no different than an ISP forcing users to rent/purchase only their routers or having to rent/purchase your TV from your cable channel provider. Any steps that Verizon takes to make it difficult for customers who choose to use their own routers are bad for all customers. Hopefully now you can "see the point" that the use of open standards and protocols and supporting healthy competition are good things.

For 12-18 months of Verizon rental fees, you can find many routers that have more features and greater performance than the G1100. The only good reason to rent Verizon's equipment isn't price or performance. It's for their technical support. Now, that is a VERY good reason for many customers. However, for those of us who are willing to troubleshoot our own devices, community forums like this one are helpful. My understanding is that this forum is open to all Verizon customers. So if your only contribution is going to be to recommend that anyone seeking help with their own router just give up and use Verizon's G1100... then please don't bother.

0 Likes
jrmonta
Enthusiast - Level 2

So after turning on logging, I did see WAN IP disconnects

[Internet connected] IP address: [xxx.xxx.xxx] Saturday, February 06,2021 04:01:32
[Internet disconnected] Saturday, February 06,2021 04:01:31

[Internet connected] IP address: [xxx.xxx.xxx] Saturday, February 06,2021 11:01:33
[Internet disconnected] Saturday, February 06,2021 11:01:32

But they're for such small periods of time.  I've seen mention that DHCP renewals can get messed up by bad time values so just in case, I've changed the NTP server that my router uses from the Netgear default (I wish I knew the IP address for Verizon's NTP servers because then I'd know for sure that we're synced up).  I've also removed some "smart home" clients from my local network.  The problem hasn't happened for a couple of days but I'm not ready to declare either of those changes as fixes yet.  I'll post an update if I'm able to isolate the cause to a specific device or if the NTP server setting was the fix.

0 Likes
teele
Enthusiast - Level 2

BTW, my original problem was definitely the ONT. Got it replace and service solid once again.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jrmonta wrote:

Customers are better off when there is open market competition instead of being locked into one of the handful of devices Verizon offers.

Verizon does not lock customers into niches. You can use whatever router you want without being charged.

@jrmonta wrote:

For 12-18 months of Verizon rental fees, you can find many routers that have more features and greater performance than the G1100. The only good reason to rent Verizon's equipment isn't price or performance. It's for their technical support.

Why you need to rent a Verizon router when you can pick up a used G1100 off Ebay for $37? Fios-G1100 is a decent router. It has a 3 x 3 MIMO 802.11ac deliver up to 600Mbps. The used router from Ebay will still pull firmware updates from Verizon backend and Verizon will provide you support as long as you are a Fios customer. Which router manufacture provides 24/7/365 free support for devices sold off Ebay? As I mentioned before, Fios-G1100 does provide some extra diagnostic tools such as Syslog, detailed WAN DHCP logs, and a whole stack of TR-069. Syslog and TR-069 seem to be always absent in consumer-grade routers.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you see the WAN DHCP ACKNOLWEGE log entry first, or [Internet disconnected] first? Presumably, you see the latter first.

DHCP Lease Time/Renewal Time/Binding Time are unsigned 32-bit integers, not a timestamp. Time synchronization should not be a factor here. One possibility is that your router's clock runs slower than Verizon layer 3's clock (time dilation? your router is moving at light speed? Just joking. 😄). A possible scenario is that your router ticks an hour milliseconds slower than Verizon layer 3. The layer 3 revokes the IP address before your router can renew the address. Your router should always renew several minutes before the actual expiration time, I don't think this is the problem either. Can you find out when does your router send out the DHCP REQUEST packet? Before or after the [Internet disconnection]?