Display access point in IP Address Distribution Table?
three_jeeps
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have an actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I router and I attached a linksyswrt54GS (running DD-WRT) and configured the wrt54gs as an access point, and connected the two routers via a LAN-LAN port hard wired connection.

I created a reservation (static) in the actiontec router, using the wired port mac  address of the wrt54gs.  The actiontec router ip address is the standard 192.168.1.1 and the wrt54gs is .1.2, and the actiontec is configured to DHCP addresses starting from 192.168 .1.3 to 192.168 .1.254. (the config instructions from the DDWRT confg page indicated to set the actiontec router with that range and to config the wrt54 with 192.168.1.2 IP address.

So, the wrt54gs appears to work, sort of....I can ping the wrt54gs and it responds, however, in the IP Connection Listing it shows the lease for it as Expired.  Is this correct?

SHould I configure the actiontec router differently?.

Thanks

John

0 Likes
Re: Display access point in IP Address Distribution Table?
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Did you set the static 192.168.1.2 from DD-WRT Itself? In all my testing with the Actiontec, whenever an address is set to static, it dosen't show up on the "Connected Devices" menu. I found that only devices who get a DHCP lease from the actiontec show up here, not static devices.

Your configuration should be working fine. Just ensure that you can access the internet from the WRT54G.

0 Likes
three_jeeps
Enthusiast - Level 3

@JustinG wrote:

Hello!

Did you set the static 192.168.1.2 from DD-WRT Itself? .

Yes, in DDWRT I did Setup -> Basic Setup: WAN Connection Type : Disabled and,Local IP Address: 192.168.1.2

In the actiontec, i did Advanced -> IP Routing distribution -> Connection List: New Static Connection (at the end of the list) and set ip to 192.168.1.2 and entered the mac address of the wrt54 ethernet adapter

JustinG wrote: In all my testing with the Actiontec, whenever an address is set to static, it dosen't show up on the "Connected Devices" menu. I found that only devices who get a DHCP lease from the actiontec show up here, not static devices.

We must have different Router interfaces...I've set up static reservations for 3 webcams, some pcs, and printers, and they all appear in the Connection List. 

Well, yes, I can connect via the wrt54/ddwrt router and it works fine....sort of....just so happens my webcams don't connect to the wrt54 anymore...(even though they are 5-25 feet away from the wrt54, and the actiontec is 60 feet away...still working on that one....)

Thanks

J

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

three_jeeps wrote:

We must have different Router interfaces...I've set up static reservations for 3 webcams, some pcs, and printers, and they all appear in the Connection List. 

Are the devices themselves setup for DHCP, and the static reservations are set in the router? That might be why, since the devices still ask for DHCP (Even thought they get a static IP in return). When a device is set static on its end and not the router's, it dosen't show up in the "Connected Devices" menu, at least from my experiences.

three_jeeps wrote: Well, yes, I can connect via the wrt54/ddwrt router and it works fine....sort of....just so happens my webcams don't connect to the wrt54 anymore...(even though they are 5-25 feet away from the wrt54, and the actiontec is 60 feet away...still working on that one....)

Are the SSIDs the same? I've had the same problem before, with some devices not recognizing the MAC of the new WiFi access point and not connecting, releasing their DHCP lease and rebooting them fixed it for me.

Hope I can be of some assitance! 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@three_jeeps wrote:

I have an actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I router and I attached a linksyswrt54GS (running DD-WRT) and configured the wrt54gs as an access point, and connected the two routers via a LAN-LAN port hard wired connection.

I created a reservation (static) in the actiontec router, using the wired port mac  address of the wrt54gs.  The actiontec router ip address is the standard 192.168.1.1 and the wrt54gs is .1.2, and the actiontec is configured to DHCP addresses starting from 192.168 .1.3 to 192.168 .1.254. (the config instructions from the DDWRT confg page indicated to set the actiontec router with that range and to config the wrt54 with 192.168.1.2 IP address.

So, the wrt54gs appears to work, sort of....I can ping the wrt54gs and it responds, however, in the IP Connection Listing it shows the lease for it as Expired.  Is this correct?

SHould I configure the actiontec router differently?.

Thanks

John

Could just configure the Linkys as some other subnet such as 192.168.2 and connect it Lan to Wan.  No need for any reservations on the Actiontec as you can leave the Linksys to getting a dhcp address for the wan port.  Give the linksys a different ssid

0 Likes
three_jeeps
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks for the post.  I want to treat the Linksys wrt54 as an access point.  I want seamless roaming so the ssid and subnet have to be the same.

J

0 Likes