Distorted Audio
fccarl

I am experiencing a strange problem.  When my desktop is connected (LAN,  hard wired) to my modem/router all the audio out of my PC speakers is distorted (and pulsates in time to the data flow).  I have used other Lan outs, swapped out cables (3), swapped router (Fios sent a replacement), and even tried spapping out another network card.  If I disconnect the cable form either the router or desktop or turn off power my system it plays audio perfectly.  I have tried redressing cables, unplugging power adapters one at a time, updated drivers, rolled them back - nothing improves the situation.  Just tried a complete wipe and reinstall.  Speakers play fine though another desktop.  No conflicts in the device manager.  The distortion is sort of a high pitched whine that keeps tempo with lights flickering on the router as data moves through.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

W XP Media Center Edition  sp3

Gateway GM5260

Tried Actiontec MI424WR3 and Westell Ultraline 9011

Thanks

Fred

0 Likes
Re: Distorted Audio
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
sounds like a bad, or no 'ground' issue, could be on your speakers or the router. 
0 Likes
fccarl
Would running a wire from the case to ground be a safe thing to try?
0 Likes
shadowmind
Enthusiast - Level 3
Two things to try, 1st if you had mulitple audio jacks on your PC try the seconds and see if they work if not an the speakers work on another pc could possibly be your sound card. check that route and let us know how it turns out.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Are the routers or router and PC plugged into the same power source when this happens? It could be you 120vac power outlets have a different ground reference or neutral. If this is the case it could be very unhealthy for your hardware not just your sound. If they are not connected to the same power outlet then try doing that and see if it happens. If it does not then have the recepticles checked for proper grounding or neutral wiring. I had a laptop once in one outlet and pluged a serial cable into another device with a different power feed and had smoke come out.
0 Likes