Do I have use a verizon router for 1 Gig??
COvidsucks

I plugged the ethernet from my ONT directly into my Google Nest Router and I am no longer using my G3100.  Is the G3100 required for 1 gig?  Google Wifi says I am running at 100 Mb.   

0 Likes
Re: Do I have use a verizon router for 1 Gig??
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, you can use any router you like. Verizon only supports their routers, though.

WiFi speeds can vary dramatically.  Test with an Ethernet connected device to rule in/out WiFi issues.  If an Ethernet connected device is limited to 100M, that suggests a bad cable.  Check the link status lights to see if the Ethernet MACs are connecting at 1G or 100M.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Any router that has gigabit WAN port will be fine. There might be a Qos setting in your Google router settings that might need to be changed. 

0 Likes
COvidsucks

How about the whole "hand shake" thing I have read about on other posts?  I haven't been able to tell Verizon that I am not using the g3100 router.  I went by the Verizon store to return it, and the guy there said if he took it back without me telling Verizon first that my internet would be turned off.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not true. Any router can connect to the ONT at anytime. Many people use their own router’s with FiOS. 

0 Likes