Re: Do I need my Fios G1100 anymore?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wait, does not every Orbi router have more than one LAN ports? You can use them, they are switched.

json2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

This could be my lack of network topology understanding.

So I have a single ethernet cable to the router (not feasible where it is to run a second one from my central switch). So That cable is plugged into the WAN port. I think I need a second cable from a switched port on my orbi (yes, you're right it has 4 switched ports) to feed back to the router. Yes?

Or is there some way to use link aggregation modes and skip the WAN port entirely so I can route the internet AND feed the rest of my wired connections with a single ethernet cable?

Appreciate the input!

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am quite confused here. I think you are using "router" when you really mean "access point?"

So you have ONT <--WAN> Orbi 1 (as a router/switch/ap) <LAN--LAN> Orbi 2 (as a switch/ap)?

<-->      =     Ethernet cable

Where is your central switch located? Near Orbi 1 or Orbi 2, or either of the places at a third location, or near the ONT? How is your home wiring setup? The ethernet cables terminate in the basement?

json2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe this diagram will give a little better understanding of my network:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fLMMFhQ2SQwwKbkwM5vAxcJ-cjDuNr0c/view

The ONT connectino comes into a wired switch that has connections to the rest of the home. The switch then has the ethernet out to the orbi in router mode which I have plugged into the WAN. This worked just fine for wireless connections, however I think since I didn't have a second ethernet cable from the Orbi LAN back to the Switch it wasn't able to connect to my wired connections.

Does this make more sense of it? I have a plan that I think will work to relocate the router where I can connect to the WAN and a LAN port.

Thanks for your help and second set of eyes! Much appreciated. Let me know if I'm totally missing the boat on something!

json2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI team - I was finally able to get this working by moving the Orbi router to a location where I had access to 2 ethernet cables so it could plug into WAN & LAN.\

Thanks for all the advice along the way!