Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

Do I need my Fios G1100 anymore?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Re: Do I need my Fios G1100 anymore?

Message 11 of 15
(233 Views)

Wait, does not every Orbi router have more than one LAN ports? You can use them, they are switched.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 12 of 15
(231 Views)

This could be my lack of network topology understanding.

So I have a single ethernet cable to the router (not feasible where it is to run a second one from my central switch). So That cable is plugged into the WAN port. I think I need a second cable from a switched port on my orbi (yes, you're right it has 4 switched ports) to feed back to the router. Yes?

Or is there some way to use link aggregation modes and skip the WAN port entirely so I can route the internet AND feed the rest of my wired connections with a single ethernet cable?

Appreciate the input!

Highlighted
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 13 of 15
(228 Views)

I am quite confused here. I think you are using "router" when you really mean "access point?"

So you have ONT <--WAN> Orbi 1 (as a router/switch/ap) <LAN--LAN> Orbi 2 (as a switch/ap)?

<-->      =     Ethernet cable

Where is your central switch located? Near Orbi 1 or Orbi 2, or either of the places at a third location, or near the ONT? How is your home wiring setup? The ethernet cables terminate in the basement?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 14 of 15
(210 Views)

Maybe this diagram will give a little better understanding of my network:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fLMMFhQ2SQwwKbkwM5vAxcJ-cjDuNr0c/view

The ONT connectino comes into a wired switch that has connections to the rest of the home. The switch then has the ethernet out to the orbi in router mode which I have plugged into the WAN. This worked just fine for wireless connections, however I think since I didn't have a second ethernet cable from the Orbi LAN back to the Switch it wasn't able to connect to my wired connections.

Does this make more sense of it? I have a plan that I think will work to relocate the router where I can connect to the WAN and a LAN port.

Thanks for your help and second set of eyes! Much appreciated. Let me know if I'm totally missing the boat on something!

Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 15 of 15
(606 Views)

FYI team - I was finally able to get this working by moving the Orbi router to a location where I had access to 2 ethernet cables so it could plug into WAN & LAN.\

Thanks for all the advice along the way!

View solution in original post

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.