Do I really need the Actiontec router?
Ken

After talking with the Verizon rep I don't see why I would need the Actiontec router.  I have a LinkSys 600N router and see no reason to move to something that seams (from reading emails) less secure and error prone.  Is there any reason that I won't be able to plug FIOS directly into my existing equipment?  I also don't want Verizon (any) software on my machine and if FIOS is just a network drop I don't see any reason to do otherwise.

As you can tell I haven't been installed yet but it is scheduled.

Message Edited by Ken on 09-30-2008 04:03 PM
0 Likes
Re: Do I really need the Actiontec router?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
If you are getting Fios TV you need the ActionTec router. If you are not getting TV then you should be able to use your own router.
0 Likes
Ken
That doesn't seem to make sense from what I understand from talking to Verizon and reading the manual for the router.  I see the router has a coax connection but that appears to be an input connection; are you saying that it is an output?  I was told by the Verizon person that if I got TV (which I am not) that the TV connection would be made between the OTN and the TV; is that incorrect?
0 Likes
jlkchan
The actiontec router is needed for some TV functionalities, ie channel guide and PPV.  If you are not getting tv service then you can do without it.  You do however need the connection off the ONT to be ethernet and not MoCA (coax) in order to use your own router.  If it is MoCA you can ask verizon to switch it for you then you should be good to go.  If you do get TV service later on you can still use your own router bu we'll cross that bridge when you do
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The ActionTec router assigns IP addresses to the set top boxes using MOCA via the coaxial cable. If you are not getting TV then you need to be provisioned for Ethernet to use your own router like the previous poster stated.
0 Likes
regular_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is a excellent source of information:

How do I replace my MoCA-connected Actiontec router and still get VOD?

You can also find lots of other sources of info by using google and searching for 'replace Actiontec router'.

When I had internet only, I didn't use the Actiontec router at all.  I simply ran CAT5 to my Linksys DDWRT WRT150N router, requested that Verizon change my ONT connection from coax to ethernet and performed the steps mentioned in the previous link.

Once I added FIOS TV, I had to put Actiontec back in service, but I did it behind my primary Linksys router.  The Actiontec (and its MoCA coax connection) is needed to allow the STBs and DVRs to retrieve Guide data, Widget info, VOD and PPV functionality as well as to communicate with each other (e.g. via Home Media).  

Note: Although the steps involved are fairly straight forward, it is not for the faint of heart.  If you mess things up along the way, you can easily find yourself without Internet, phone or TV service.  Leave yourself plenty of time and make sure you comfortable with the steps and diagnosis required.

-rg

0 Likes
zachyzissou
Enthusiast - Level 2
We (i think) have one of the first actual set ups that were available. they simply have the little converter box and our router (D-link whater) and that was it. I just swapped out the D-Link for an AirPort Extreme (for the wireless-N) and it works just fine. i have to reset it every now and then to make VOD go through but its not that big of a bother. We also get regular firmware updates (assuming 1.6 hasn't been pushed out to North Texas yet).
0 Likes
Georgesc
This thread was very informative, thx. I too want to replace my actiontec router and have an appointment for 11/15 for a tech to come out (funny, they really didn't understand what I wanted when I requested it so I'll probably have to show the tech this thread. 🙂
0 Likes
regular_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yet another thread for those so inclined.....

Ditch the Actiontec MI424WR router!
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20582752-Ditch-the-Actiontec-MI424WR-router

-rg

0 Likes
zachyzissou
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright final words, if your totally set on ditching the Actiontec, i would purchase a NIM-100 on ebay or try to get verizon to give you one. Then just hook it up the old way by connecting the coax in to the NIM and then plugging that into on of the ports on your new router. Whilst the cat5 is plugged into your new router. It's how mines set up with an AirPort Extreme (Which i love for its 802.11n capabilities.) only set back is i have to reset it after 5 or so VOD orders but thats no problem.

Hope i helped.

Zach

0 Likes