Re: Battery Backup beeping and in the Red
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The BBU supplies power to the ONT.

If you remove it, ONT has no power.

That being said, you can remove the battery as it does not support Internet anyway.

Re: Do I really need the BBU?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Read what TNS said.

BBU supplies power tot he ONT.

It has to have power to power the electronics that convert from fiber to Ethernet or cable for your coax.

But you can remove battery as it is no longer needed.

TipsyMcStagger

I don't have home phone service.  I'm familiar with the process of unplugging the ONT from the wall, unplugging the battery from the ONT for one minute and then reconnecting in the reverse order to silence the battery beep.

The issue is that this has become a monthly ritual and I'm tired of it.  I also see no reason to buy a replacement battery that serves no purpose.

Question:  If I simply leave the backup battery unplugged (or remove it entirely) from the ONT, will the battery beep continue to sound?  Or will it stay silenced?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why don't you try that.

Castle117
Enthusiast - Level 2

when the tech was out for my quantum gatway router upgrade i needed an ONT upgrade. the new ONT has the power pack but no BBU. i told him that our area does experence power drops in bad weather and the BBU is needed. he told me verizon no longer supports BBUs unless you order and pay for the service. the new black power pack has connectors for and external BBU.

i plugged my ONT power into a store bought UPS, works fine.  

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

My ONT setup seems to have the backup battery all in one unit (No BBU unit seperate), however I also like others here have just left the battery out, since I could care less about phone, but internet is what I need to stay online.

My solution, I bought a small $45 UPS of Amazon that powers the ONT in a power outage for a good amount of time.

GigiBeanz1

I have only tv and internet service. One day I discovered this beeping and discovered it was not the smoke alarm but a black box containing a battery. I read that this was for landline service which I don't have.  Can't figure out for the life of my why this battery was installed if I don't have landline.  I have read here on the forums to remove the battery to stop the beeping but leave it plugged into the wall. I  removed the battery and set it aside, but the beeping continues.  How can i silence the beeping permanently without having to replace a battery which is not needed?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@GigiBeanz wrote:

I have only tv and internet service. One day I discovered this beeping and discovered it was not the smoke alarm but a black box containing a battery. I read that this was for landline service which I don't have.  Can't figure out for the life of my why this battery was installed if I don't have landline.  I have read here on the forums to remove the battery to stop the beeping but leave it plugged into the wall. I  removed the battery and set it aside, but the beeping continues.  How can i silence the beeping permanently without having to replace a battery which is not needed?

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/battery-backup/beeping

Go to above link. You should be ok.

Good Luck

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

JonJones link is a good one, but as some of the earlier posts mention, the BBU does give you a few minutes of Internet and TV service before they are cut off and only the landline telephone is kept live. During a heavy storm where I live, it's not unusual for us to lose power for just a few seconds to maybe a minute. It rarely goes longer than that, but that's enough for all Internet connections to break. The BBU stays up through that, so as long as your desktop is on a UPS (or you are using a laptop, tablet, cell phone with a battery), you can go on your merry way without interruption.

When it was time for my fourth (!) battery replacement, I decided that for me, it was more important to have the Internet up. I plugged the ONT power into a UPS, removed the BBS battery and silenced the alarm. I've only had to do it once - not another beep out of it. Now, I can keep using the Internet during a power outage (for about 30-40 minutes anyway).

These ONT designs are pretty old - old enough that keeping the land line up was the most important thing. It still is for some. If you or someone in your house might need emergency services at any time, you really want that phone line working. 911 calls from cell phones still have issues in some areas. (Phone number not delivered with the call, address not delivered with the call, call goes to the wrong 911 call center, etc.)

jonjones1
Legend

I dont use their phone service or TV so it doesn't matter or apply to my situation.

I use APC battery backups which keep my internet and my own voip phone and tv and other devices on for over 12 hours. 

The poster wanted to know how to change/silence/remove the BBU that is why I gave the link.

You cannot go wrong with supplemential battery power.

0 Likes