Re: Do I really need the BBU?
CuriousMind1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interesting idea of using UPS for backup power. What is the rating of your APC? Any other recommendations? I'd consider Tripplite too.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CuriousMind wrote:

Interesting idea of using UPS for backup power. What is the rating of your APC? Any other recommendations? I'd consider Tripplite too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apc-back-ups-900va-battery-back-up-system-black/5554700.p?skuId=5554700

This looks like it in the link above. It states 5.9 hours guy at store said if just your router or ont plugged in around double that power level. I have used APC brands for years. I own 4 of the units but as I said the power has never exceeded the length of time to have my devices on.

i have another that keeps my desktops operational but mostly I use the wifi from our tablets. (We have cellular on our iPads just in case) 

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am using an APC Back-UPS 700, which is way, way overkill for this application. I only have the ONT and a Motorola NIM-100 MoCA bridge plugged into it. Should run for hours. Newegg had a really good one-day sale on them making that model cheaper that the 350VA version (and with free shipping), so I figured why not?

FairFACTS

I have spent far too much time trying to get an answer from Verizon (similar to others using this site). Additionally, the Tech agent sent me (and several others)to a Verizon store to buy a replacement battery for the BBU: store employee was surprised and ststate they have NEVER sold these batteries...OK so back to online and I decided to ask Verizon if I really need a plugged in BBU as I have whole house generator. I cannot tell if they don't know and just won't say that--if they want to maximize battery sales--are waiting for the eclipse. Does anyone know if the whole house generator serves the function of the BBU? Really appreciate!

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have a whole-house generator (and the power cord that goes to the [battery charging circuit and ONT] is part of what that generator covers), you absolutely, positively do not need any battery in the BBU. I have no battery in my BBU at all and haven't had one in a year or so. Instead, I plugged the ONT's BBU into a UPS. It's weathered several 10 second to 20 minute power outages with no loss of Internet. This is even better than the BBU approach is that only backs up the land line telephone service. It seems it backs up the internet and TV for a short while (on the order of 2-3 minutes). After that, only the telephone continues to work.

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes