Do any Verizon Modem/Routers support Apple Airprint?
MOSSMAN
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an Actiontec MI424WR Modem/Router Version E and also use a multi-room DVR with Extreme HD service.  In order to print from an iPad or iPhone with Airprint via my wireless network, the router has to be compatible with Bonjour (Apple's service discovery protocol used by Airprint) which apparently requires routers to be able to do "multi-cast bridging".  This Actiontec model can not do it, at least with the latest firmware. 

So what are my options?  Does Verizon offer another modem/router combination model that can do this?  Are they working with Actiontec on a new firmware upgrade to add compatibility?  Do they offer just a modem I could use with the wireless router of my own choice?  Do I have to add an additional router and can I even do that with this Actiontec model and what impact would that have on my cable TV or DVR service?

It seems like Verizon needs to do a better job of keeping up with changes in their market and needs to try to keep things simple.  I am concerned that the answers to my questions will involve complex and expensive solutions.

Re: Do any Verizon Modem/Routers support Apple Airprint?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@lmoss wrote:

I have an Actiontec MI424WR Modem/Router Version E and also use a multi-room DVR with Extreme HD service.  In order to print from an iPad or iPhone with Airprint via my wireless network, the router has to be compatible with Bonjour (Apple's service discovery protocol used by Airprint) which apparently requires routers to be able to do "multi-cast bridging".  This Actiontec model can not do it, at least with the latest firmware. 

So what are my options?  Does Verizon offer another modem/router combination model that can do this?  Are they working with Actiontec on a new firmware upgrade to add compatibility?  Do they offer just a modem I could use with the wireless router of my own choice?  Do I have to add an additional router and can I even do that with this Actiontec model and what impact would that have on my cable TV or DVR service?

It seems like Verizon needs to do a better job of keeping up with changes in their market and needs to try to keep things simple.  I am concerned that the answers to my questions will involve complex and expensive solutions.

No, Verizon routers do not support Airpint. None of them do. Also, it is not likely they ever will. Verizon does not support any internal networking systems. They only support connection to the internet, nothing else.

You can add your own router to the mix. That is what most people do.

Here is a link to some instructions for adding your own router to the mix. This will allow all the Verizon services to continue to work properly while allowing your own router to connect inside.

charliemckeonjr
Enthusiast - Level 1
This company is really something. They sell iPhones and don't even support AirPrint. That's some kind of telecom company, isn't it? I'm sure they have all kinds of explanations for it, of course—except putting satisfaction of customers above all else, of course. They give you no help on it in customer support. What are people telling me here? Buy another router—for no other reason than the one Verizon gives its customers isn't even up to the job of providing support for a feature of the very iPhones Verizon sells to its customers. Let me guess, Verizon—Verizon's management thinks that's good service?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It doesn't help that AirPrint is really only found in HP Printers and is also troublesome for a ton of people according to the Apple forums. I can't fault Verizon for not supporting it in that case, even if it is in fact a router issue. If it's a problem regarding Bonjour, which I know Apple loves to use, it should be a pretty simple fix. The heart of each FiOS router is really nothing more than Red Hat Linux (Redboot) as the bootloader with BusyBox as the main platform. Many routers run off of some sort of embedded Linux distribution so it certainly is possible.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure I understand ... but AirPrint works just fine on your home network behind the ActionTec router.  

Multicast bridging is only required if you multi-router network (like in an enterprise scenario) and wish to be able to locate devices which are AirPrint enable on subnets which are not on the same network as your iPad/iPhone device.  

Within a single subnet network (as is typical for almost all home networks unless you are stacking NAT routers), all devices can see one another directly and are in the same broadcast domain -- thus the multicast will be seen directly (the router simply handles it as a local network broadcast).

Most home network routers (ActionTec included) do not support multicast bridging because it's simply not an applicable use in a NAT router scenario.  

With that said, today, only newer HP printers natively support the AirPrint protocol.  However, there are a number of articles on the web which you can find which will walk you thru enabling and AirPrint gateway on a Mac (natively) or on a PC (with the installation of iTunes and the underlying Bonjour extensions).  This gateway will then make any of your attached printers on that gateway system visible to the AirPrint client.   This is exactly what I'm doing with my iPad.   It can see my Lexmark C543 color laser as an AirPrint device thru the my AirPrint enabled iMac -- all of which are attached to my home network behind my ActionTec router from Verizon.

cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

How is you Quality of Service level, lasagna ?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not certain I understand your question.   If you're talking QOS settings on the ActionTec itself for traffic prioritization, I don't use them and frankly with a 35/35 internet connection, don't need them (although I have no idea what relevance that has to the OP's question about AirPrint).

Ruck1

I have found that the firewall in the security suite blocks the AirPrint service.  If you turn it off , airprint works fine.  The windows XP firewall lets it work fine.

Ruck

0 Likes