Contributor - Level 3

If not, when will we get it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does FIOS have IPv6 yet?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verizon has been testing IPv6 for months in a few small areas. It's enabled at the Central Office level, so at least for the moment the deployments have been rather limited.

The areas that Verizon has been testing in for months now include (these were verified from a thread on DSLReports):

- Ashburn VA (no surprise, HQ's there)

- Waltham MA (VZ Tech Center there)

- A number of areas along I-95 in Virginia, including Midlothian/Richmond, Spotsylvania, and Dale City.

That said, I'm not in any of those areas (just west of Ashburn, but served by another CO) and I started seeing IPv6 router advertisements on my pfSense router last week. After some experimentation on Saturday, I was successful in getting native IPv6 service working.

So after months of no IPv6 expansion, it appears there may be further limited rollout of it going on.

If you run pfSense as your router, you might want to check out this thread on the pfSense forums. It has the settings I'm using, as well as a script that can be scheduled to run that will send notification when router advertisements are detected on your WAN interface.

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/155534/verizon-fios-and-ipv6-which-settings-work

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@glnz2wrote:

If not, when will we get it?

No they do not on Fios. They do on Verizon wireless.

its been over 6+ years that Fios said they were thinking about it. However it has not happened yet. When it will happen? Who knows.

0 Likes
pasques
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think it's time for a revolt.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@pasqueswrote:

I think it's time for a revolt.

Thank you for that. I needed a laugh.

your service and mine do not now, nor did Verizon say I was ever going to have it.

0 Likes
theochino

I agree that it is time for a revolt !

I live in the New York City area and I called the DOITT (who investigate any issue with the providers) and they sent me back to verizon support.

I am currently leading a revolt in the Democratic party of New York city running OutragedDems.NYC to replace the technically clueless politicians and then when I am done, with that I will get them to turn around against Verizon and force them into IPv6.

I got with a few cohorts to change the charter of New York City to get a Chief Privacy Officer and stuff like that so by the time I done in September, I will get back into Verizon behind to get them to put IPv6 on top of the list. I am tired to have to fiddle with my router just to see Netflix and HBOgo because of the HE bridge.

Revolt ! Revolt ! Revolt !

Like Stephen Colbert used to say, you are on Notice Verizon !

@TheoChinoGeek

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

To much sugar in your breakfast cereal.

there is nothing in verizons service agreement that guarantees any technology updates. IPv6 being the assigned ip addresses scheme. But nice try.

in New York State the Department of Public Service controls verizon and other utilities.

they cannot make Verizon go to IPv6 and they handle valid complaints on service issues. Overcharging, non repairs to service, switching out services without consent, etc.

the rest of your post has nothing to do with asking for assistance from a customer helping customer forum.

call 1-800-VERIZON and ask them for assistance.

intramorph
Enthusiast - Level 2

There's absolutely nothing wrong to ask for IPv6 because every other ISP has it by now... I would like to ask when it will happen for V-Fios as well but I know the answer to that... even if they're planning on providing it they won't tell us... so this post is pointless to an extent however we're allowed to vent our frustrations aren't we?

jonjones1
Legend

@intramorph wrote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong to ask for IPv6 because every other ISP has it by now... I would like to ask when it will happen for V-Fios as well but I know the answer to that... even if they're planning on providing it they won't tell us... so this post is pointless to an extent however we're allowed to vent our frustrations aren't we?

Incorrect. Most ISP’s do not have it now. And Fios is still one of them not having it.

when Verizon is ready to roll it out Verizon will do it.

0 Likes
maxehr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does Verizon pay you or something? Both Comcast and TWC have ipv6 for residential customers. Regardless it's the right thing to do technologically. There's really no excuse for them not having it except that they don't care, and it's not something thats defensible it's just objectively wrong. 

jonjones1
Legend

@maxehr wrote:

Does Verizon pay you or something? Both Comcast and TWC have ipv6 for residential customers. Regardless it's the right thing to do technologically. There's really no excuse for them not having it except that they don't care, and it's not something thats defensible it's just objectively wrong. 

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/ipv6.html

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/ipv6/

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31469180-Does-Charter-offers-IPV6

Part of your statement is correct. It is available but not everywhere. See above links.

more not than have. And no I don’t work for Fios. 

As I stated when they are ready to let customers have it like they do on the wireless side the customers will get it.

0 Likes