Re: Does FIOS have IPv6 yet?
transistor1
Enthusiast - Level 1

@theochino

I am currently leading a revolt in the Democratic party of New York city running OutragedDems.NYC to replace the technically clueless politicians and then when I am done, with that I will get them to turn around against Verizon and force them into IPv6. 

I got with a few cohorts to change the charter of New York City to get a Chief Privacy Officer and stuff like that so by the time I done in September, I will get back into Verizon behind to get them to put IPv6 on top of the list. I am tired to have to fiddle with my router just to see Netflix and HBOgo because of the HE bridge.

Revolt ! Revolt ! Revolt !

Like Stephen Colbert used to say, you are on Notice Verizon !

So, you are leading a political revolution because fiddling with your router to get around your Hurricane Electric tunnel for watching Netflix is annoying?  First world problems.

Here's a temporary fix until VZ rolls out IPv6: for Netflix, set an unreachable route for 2406:da00:ff00::/48 (Netflix's IPv6 prefix).  This will force Netflix to resolve through IPv4.  I can't find any AAAA records for HBOGo, and I don't have it to test, but their streaming servers must have an IPv6 block, if you're having trouble.  Use the dig utility on Linux to figure out what that block is, then do the same for that.

HTH

transistor1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon -

+1 for IPv6 please.  Any timeline on when we are getting it?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I do not have FIOS, I am happy to report that they are deploying it and this time for real.

As over heard/over read at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32136440-Networking-IPv6-working

IPv6 Connection Type: DHCPv6-PD

🙂

jonjones1
Legend

I was reading that over on DSL Reports. However it is not available everywhere.

as I was reading in another thread. 

To test it i I threw on the Quantum router with the IPv6 enabled and went to the IPv6 test site and it came back as not working. So it may be only deployed in certain areas to start. Little upstate NY must not be one of those areas yet. 😀

Shmerl

@jonjones wrote:
when Verizon is ready to roll it out Verizon will do it.

Verizon will never be ready, until IPv6 is mandated by the municipality or state. It's one of those things that's necessary for the overall Internet progress, but not something ISPs are ever profiting from, so ones like Verizon will never do it until pressured.

Doing something for state to require IPv6 from every single ISP is actually the only thing we as users can do here.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

It is not something that can be state or federally mandated.

it is not a necessity for internet connectivity nor is it a premium to be charged a higher price.

verizon still has a gazillion ipv4 addresses available. The main reason originally was because the internet providers were running out of ipv4 addresses.

verizon does use IPv6 on their wireless side.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

[EDIT] How soon all of the customers will have it is another matter.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Anyone here in Pittsburgh get lucky yet?

I have control over 8-9 FiOS connections throughout my city, I'll be watching and waiting for it to come!

I saw on the FiOS IPv6 page they finally mentioned that business users will be assigned a /56 - I spoke with support for a while but it seems like no one internally has been updated yet as to when businesses will have access to this.

Looking forward to more details soon! Smiley Happy

jonjones1
Legend

Ha ha ha you did see the thread at DSL Reports on this issue?

evidently some areas are “claiming” to have it. Others are stating they can activate it on their routers but it’s still a no go. 

Although verizon wireless has had IPv6 for quite awhile, Fios has been promising it and not doing anything about it for years now.

0 Likes
theochino

Yes, it's simple. If the policians says "You need to have IPv6" for us to continue allowing you to uses our street (franchise agreement), then Verizon will have it done overnight.

0 Likes