Does FiOS TV One use MOCA?
MOne3

Does VMS4100 box use MOCA for On Demand and menus?  I ask because I have aspirations of using my own router, and possibly not needing my Quantum router at all.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does FiOS TV One use MOCA?
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

A Coax connection is required to receive TV service, with Fios TV One Mini, you will need to use MoCA in order to be able to use them with a third party router. The Quantum router has a private network the Fios TV One Minis auto configure with and I do not believe there is a way to connect them to any other network easily.

It is not guaranteed that should you successfully get the Fios TV One working with a third party router that all services it uses will function properly or at all.

This can also have an impact on the level of service a Tech Support agent might be able to provide when you do not have a standard configuration or if there is a possibility your configuration can interfere with the normal operation of the your services or equipment. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

I have not seen the back of the box. But according to this site, the box is WiFi enabled.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/verizon-launches-fios-tv-one

now I see from this link it has MOCA coaxial. With ability to connect 4 more devices via WiFi. https://www.telecompetitor.com/verizon-intros-fios-tv-one-upgrades-fios-tv-experience/

However you could still still use a MOCA adapter and splitter with your own router.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might want to give it a try.

VMS does need ethernet (no wifi).

Try connecting ethernet to it and disconnect coax (you will lose regular channels)

Try to see if on demand still works.

Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

A Coax connection is required to receive TV service, with Fios TV One Mini, you will need to use MoCA in order to be able to use them with a third party router. The Quantum router has a private network the Fios TV One Minis auto configure with and I do not believe there is a way to connect them to any other network easily.

It is not guaranteed that should you successfully get the Fios TV One working with a third party router that all services it uses will function properly or at all.

This can also have an impact on the level of service a Tech Support agent might be able to provide when you do not have a standard configuration or if there is a possibility your configuration can interfere with the normal operation of the your services or equipment. 

TWDaddy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just recently got the TV One service and have been wondering the same thing, how the mini connects and can I eliminate the Quantum Gateway (QG).  I love my FIOS but the Mcafee stuff is horrible and the wireless not up top par. Just did a quick and dirty test to see if using a moca bridge to eliminate the QG will work and to test how the minis connect.  Note, I have not yet installed my own router. The Verizon install is as follows: 1) Ethernet from the ONT to QG; 2) Coax from the QG to my coax hub which connect all of my rooms via coax; 3) I have a DVR connect over coax, 2 minis connected coax and two minis connected wifi. 

To test, to see if I can eliminate the gateway and still get guide, on demand, etc I: 1) disconnected the coax from the QG to my coax hub 2) connected an Actiontec moca bridge to my coax hub and connected the ethernet from the moca bridge to a LAN port on my QG.  So the router is no longer providing moca to the coax network, the bridge is.  The bridge is getting out to the internet though the QG LAN port.  I restarted all of my boxes connected via coax and everything works perfectly, guide, DVR, on demand, etc.  

Now for the mini, from what I hear, it's not compatible with any other router except the QG because of the wireless protocol it uses.  The FIOS tech talked about some special wireless video channel or some sort of wireless MOCA which made no sense. I disconnected coax from one of my minis and connected it via ethernet to my LAN switch.  Rebooted the mini and everything came up perfectly.  So looks like as long as you can get internet via ethernet to the mini, it works.

I realize the only way to know for sure if all of this works is to remove the QG completely and replace with my own router (which is my plan).  What I'm hoping to do is replace the QG with Orbi, use the moca bridge as tested above to keep my TV functionality and connect the minis where I can't use coax, via eternet to the Orbi satelite (or wireless if I can figure that out).  Fingers crossed, I'll update as soon as I can get my Orbi and test it out.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TWDaddy wrote:

Now for the mini, from what I hear, it's not compatible with any other router except the QG because of the wireless protocol it uses.  The FIOS tech talked about some special wireless video channel or some sort of wireless MOCA which made no sense. I disconnected coax from one of my minis and connected it via ethernet to my LAN switch.  Rebooted the mini and everything came up perfectly.  So looks like as long as you can get internet via ethernet to the mini, it works.

I realize the only way to know for sure if all of this works is to remove the QG completely and replace with my own router (which is my plan).  What I'm hoping to do is replace the QG with Orbi, use the moca bridge as tested above to keep my TV functionality and connect the minis where I can't use coax, via eternet to the Orbi satelite (or wireless if I can figure that out).  Fingers crossed, I'll update as soon as I can get my Orbi and test it out.

The TV One mini connects to the QG via a hidden broadcast 5GHz SSID. The only problem connecting them wifi is I don't think that you can manually enter wifi credentials. They connect with WPS. Not sure if they will connect with WPS from another router other than the QG. If you can get ethernet to the minis that would probably work. 

Bqvalen

Yes you can do that and use your own router but then you can't use the new One boxes wirelessly. The one boxes need to see the G1100's hidden ssid to grab a connection. I don't seem a way to force the wireless one box to another ssid. 

The only other option I can think of is to use a wifi/ethernet bridge to get the One box to use ethernet... Pretty ugly.

0 Likes
stevetrigs7
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Bqvalen wrote:

Yes you can do that and use your own router but then you can't use the new One boxes wirelessly. The one boxes need to see the G1100's hidden ssid to grab a connection. I don't seem a way to force the wireless one box to another ssid. 

The only other option I can think of is to use a wifi/ethernet bridge to get the One box to use ethernet... Pretty ugly.

So the interesting part about this is in the Setup Guide, they tell you to turn OFF the WiFi on the QG router.  So if I do that, how on earth will the Fios One Mini boxes grab a signal?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It will get the data either via the MOCA connection if via coax or via ethernet.

However it gets the TV signal, it will get the guide.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This thread will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes