Does Verizon Have a Better Router than Fios Gateway Router?
sjc11

Does verizon have a better router than fios gateway router my tv always says weak or no signal plus my computer is always rebuffing ( may be the wrong term)? no i have a service error sending this message

0 Likes
Re: Does Verizon Have a Better Router than Fios Gateway Router?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The FiOS Quantum Gateway Router (G1100) is the latest Verizon router.  A new router is coming out soon.

From your message, it looks like you've WiFi coverage issues.  Can you test with a wired connection to confirm?  If a wired connection isn't working well, you may want to reach out to Verizon to make sure your equipment is working properly.  Or post here with the details and you may get more help.

If a wired connection works fine, then you need to look at your WiFi setup.  There are lots of things that can and do impact WiFi performance including size of your home, neighbors' WiFi, building construction and so on.  If you confirm it's a WiFi issue and post more details, you may get some more assistance.

I do not know if the new router will have any better WiFi then the G1100.  I do know that you can add a Verizon network extender or a non-Verizon access point to improve WiFi coverage.  Again, post details and you may get more help.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@gs0b wrote:

The FiOS Quantum Gateway Router (G1100) is the latest Verizon router.  A new router is coming out soon.

From your message, it looks like you've WiFi coverage issues.  Can you test with a wired connection to confirm?  If a wired connection isn't working well, you may want to reach out to Verizon to make sure your equipment is working properly.  Or post here with the details and you may get more help.

If a wired connection works fine, then you need to look at your WiFi setup.  There are lots of things that can and do impact WiFi performance including size of your home, neighbors' WiFi, building construction and so on.  If you confirm it's a WiFi issue and post more details, you may get some more assistance.

I do not know if the new router will have any better WiFi then the G1100.  I do know that you can add a Verizon network extender or a non-Verizon access point to improve WiFi coverage.  Again, post details and you may get more help.

Good Luck.

I think a poster at dslreports has shown the FCC stats on the newest router with external placement of the antenna on them. And it is supposed to have the newest wifi standard so it should have better coverage area like Netgear and Asus or TP Link Archer routers.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

I think a poster at dslreports has shown the FCC stats on the newest router with external placement of the antenna on them. And it is supposed to have the newest wifi standard so it should have better coverage area like Netgear and Asus or TP Link Archer routers.

I am aware of the forthcoming router.  Information on it's WiFi performance is not available beyond what can be surmised from the FCC filing or the few specs that have been announced.  Even if we had all the data, I will reserve judgement on it’s WiFi performance until we have units in hand along with feedback from real world tests and users.

As for the OP’s problem, we still don’t know if it’s WiFi related or something else.  If the OP can post more details, it’s possible some of the folks here might be able to provide suggestions to resolve the issue.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@gs0b wrote:

Good Luck.

Actually from his/her post it states tv which is hooked directly via coaxial and its not working properly, and the computer which the poster did not mention wifi, so it seems by elimination it can be a bad verizon fios router sans the guessing of wifi. Could also be provisioning not properly done but the OP did not say what their speed was.

and since I told you of the thread about the possible new verizon router the poster over at DslReports mentioned external antennas and wifi 6 standard with other improvements. It is best to have real world testing before assumptions but there are far superior routers out there from Netgear and Asus which already use that standard.

and although higher priced for purchase the devices are superior to any verizon Quantum Gateway Router. That is a fact.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

We don't know how the OP's TV is hooked up - no details were given (at least in the version edited by the moderator).  I see no information stating a coax connection.  For all we know, the OP could have an IPC4100 connected by WiFi, could be using a smart TV on Ethernet, or something else.  I'm guessing it's a WiFi issue based on the very limited info provided and that most people use WiFi for everything, but we just don't know.  That’s why I asked the OP to respond with more details.  Hopefully the OP responds and we can move this forward.

As for the new router, I know a fair bit about it (I’m quite active on DSLreports fios forum, if you haven’t noticed.)  I have read the FCC reports and looked at the public pictures.  And I’ve seen very limited non-public info about it.  The FCC pictures show an internal antenna array.  No external to the box antennas, but the array does look intriguing.  Overall, it looks very good in pictures and specs.  However, I’ve seen plenty of consumer electronics devices that look great on paper only to fail to live up to the hype when released.  I sure hope the new router is not such a device, but I will withhold judgement until it’s actually out and reports are in.

Enjoy

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Yes I read your posts and enjoy them....😀

I am a big fan on no Fios Quantum Gateway Router what so ever. Internal or external antennas. And you are correct not enough information to make an informed answer.

have a nice week!

0 Likes