Does Verizon need to know serial # of your owned router?
m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased a FIOS Quantum Gateway router on ebay, plugged it in and returned Verizon's router. When I got on online chat with VZ to confirm when the router rental fee would be removed from my account, the rep asked for the serial # of the owned router I am using. I told the rep I'd have to check the serial number and get back to them.

Do they need this serial #? The router is working fine.

Also, once their router is returned and delivered to their "dock", how long does it usually take for them to check and process the router?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does Verizon need to know serial # of your owned router?
jonjones1
Legend

@m289 wrote:

I already sent it back, and it's sitting on their dock.

I do have proof of delivery. Can I call them with this and have them remove the rental fee? Or since it's on their dock, am I stuck waiting however long it takes for them to process it? I assume they'll credit back any rental fees between now and when they process the router?

Yes by all means alert them and make sure they credit you for the rental fee each time. Print out the delivery receipt and if needed fax it to them.

In any case it should be taken off your account very quickly after verizon scans the bar code on the router as returned. If you get any flack just private message me for more options.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

I just brought out my crystal ball and the swami says no they don’t need the serial number to a router not of Verizon branding. However many such Verizon for sale routers have been to be stolen or non returned or not compatible routers. Verizon has a right to say what routers are allowed to be on their service.

Now if you went and sent it back with a receipt of delivery it takes about 2 months. But you can call up and have them remove the rental fee if you have proof of delivery.

Verizon does not need the serial number or MAC address of your own router like D-Link or Netgear etc.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They know the serial number for Verizon branded routers connected to their service.  For some older models they set the admin password to that serial number.

m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do have proof of delivery. Can I call them with this and have them remove the rental fee? Or since it's on their dock, am I stuck waiting however long it takes for them to process it? I assume they'll credit back any rental fees between now and when they process the router?

0 Likes
m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interesting. You're saying they know the serial for Verizon FIOS routers even if purchased from a third party like ebay?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@m289 wrote:

Yes by all means alert them and make sure they credit you for the rental fee each time. Print out the delivery receipt and if needed fax it to them.

In any case it should be taken off your account very quickly after verizon scans the bar code on the router as returned. If you get any flack just private message me for more options.

jonjones1
Legend

@m289 wrote:

Interesting. You're saying they know the serial for Verizon FIOS routers even if purchased from a third party like ebay?

sorry for the hijack 

The router when active on your account will show up in Verizon's/frontier database.

in fact they know from whence it came. If it comes up as non returned, stolen or even not a compatible router Verizon will get in touch with you.

All providers know the mac address of your equipment.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@m289 wrote:

Yes they know it.

m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, I called them up and they removed the rental fee immediately. Well, not exacly immediately, more like after 10 minutes of the rep going through my account trying to figure out what services I had and what convoluted set of promotions were applied and so on. All in all a 25 minute phone call.

In an age where Silicon Valley companies make things as easy as a toggle switch in a phone app, Verizon and the cable companies are very outdated. Once technology gets around their natural monopolies, these dinosaurs are going to have to evolve very quickly or die.