Does an ONT Have an IP Address?
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

I recently switched from Comcast to Verizon FIOS. I have internet-only service.

Does my ONT have an IP address? With Comcast, my modem had an IP address that I could access for information about its operation. Couldn't change anything (wouldn't want to) but fun to read for an amateur geek. Can I do the same with an ONT?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does an ONT Have an IP Address?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT is a layer 2 device, only data links your home network to Verizon's network. All layer 2 devices are not required to have an IP address.

I believe Comcast's "modem" is a router/modem combo. You are only accessing its router's GUI through the IP address.

The ONT does have a management interface accessible by Verizon. Since the ONT is an equipment owned by Verizon, the customer is not allowed to configure it.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT is a layer 2 device, only data links your home network to Verizon's network. All layer 2 devices are not required to have an IP address.

I believe Comcast's "modem" is a router/modem combo. You are only accessing its router's GUI through the IP address.

The ONT does have a management interface accessible by Verizon. Since the ONT is an equipment owned by Verizon, the customer is not allowed to configure it.

CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Understood. Thanks.

Trikein
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why kind of things can they see from the management interface? I think light levels, but anything else?

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cang_Household wrote:

While I agree with everything else you said, here are my two cents.

While my cable modem is not a modem combo, it has a web based UI that I can access it at.

ARRIS/SURFboard SB6141 Web based UI even through it is not a modem combo is

http://192.168.100.1

What I just said applies to all external cable modems - unless the ISP locks it down. Important note: That is not to say all external cable modems will have that same LAN IP Address.

I see at that URL in my cable modem (non modem combo), several things. They are as follows: Status, Signal Strength, How many CPEs (devices) are allowed to get an IP Address from the ISP through it, Logs, Very Limited Configuration, Credit where credit is due (since it runs certain open source code), Brand+Model+Hardware Version of it, and Firmware Version and Built (w/ date and time) + Boot Version + , Serial Number of it.

By default the very limited configs that I can do with-in the unit, are these: Reset the unit to defaults and reboot the unit.

A hidden page allows more config but not much: Change Frequency Plan, Change Custom Frequency Ordering, Change Upstream Channel ID, Change Favorite Frequency (Hz), Disable the DHCP Server in it, Change the DHCP Range.

For the DHCP Sever here is the catch as to what that means since this is not a modem combo:

The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range

^^^^^