Does fixing this require a service visit?
dc_maf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My service is completely out following this weekend's wind storm. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does fixing this require a service visit?
jonjones1
Legend

See I told you there had to be a power outlet.

a suggestion is if that is plugged into a light socket is to plug it in a direct wall outlet.

the socket power is great for string lights in the attic or basement but I would not attach your ont to it. 

Hope all all goes well for you...😀

View solution in original post

dc_maf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, sending this from my phone and hit post accidentally!

I have the external and internal boxes in the pictures attached. Verizon tech seems to think I should have something plugged into a wall outlet, but the only cable gong into the box in the basement (with the backup battery) is one that appears to come from the outside box.

imageOutside box

imageInside box

imageInside box wiring

When the battery is attached the system light is yellow and the battery light is red and it is beeping periodically. There are no lights when the battery is detached, as pictured.

Can someone explain what I am looking at and whether there is anything I can try to get it back online before waiting four days for Verizon to get a technician out?

Thanks!

Marc

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Sorry but no photos are showing yet. The forum holds them for a time then allows them to be shown.

i will assume the ONT needs to be unplugged from the power outlet. Yes it has to be plugged into a power current 110 from your home.

after you unplug it wait about 10 minutes and then power it up.

before you do that also make sure the router is unplugged from power outlet.

after you have the ont powered back up and you see a green light, then turn the router back on via plugging back in. Wait to the router powers up completely and has no flashing globe or red globe on front. If showing white then you have internet back.

if you have tv just unplug the set top box and reboot it. Then all should be ok.

if the battery backup unit is showing yellow etc. simply hold in the reset button and then release it. The unit should power back up in time.

the BBU is only needed if you have phone service. If you don’t then it’s not important.

0 Likes
dc_maf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, hopefully the photos will show up soon so you can see what I am looking at!

The box in my basement is not plugged into a wall outlet as far as I can see. It just has one cable connected to it which appears to be coming from the outside box. There are also no buttons on it that I can see (or any manufacturer or model number indicated anywhere).

Marc

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I guess it has to appear to see it.

however the ont has to get its physical connection to a household current from somewhere. I don’t think it would be hardwired in your electric.

i will check again later or tomorrow.

0 Likes
dc_maf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, maybe the AC connection is hidden. I am out right now, but will take a closer look when I get home.

The box doesn't have any lights when the battery isn't connected, so it doesn't seem to be getting power from wherever it should be coming from; no other issues with power in the house. I guess I can try flipping circuit breakers though I looked and didn't see any that had been tripped.

Marc

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Wow what a mess.

i see your using coaxial so those big black ones are not the power.

i see the grounding wire, and I see wires going into your house. One of those wires is

power plugging into some outlet. It has to be be close to where the wires come in.

and I see the splitter. Is there a power outlet/box outside your home? We have a few outside maybe it’s plugged in outside. I cannot figure out how you could have power without it being plugged in somewhere.

0 Likes
dc_maf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The mystery continues! I presume you are referring to the Telephone Network Interface box which is outside. Is the inside box just a battery backup unit?

I opened the customer access portion of the TNI and an attaching a pictureimage

The thick white wire (has CAROL on it) appears to be the only wire going to the inside box. Can you tell from this which wire should be supplying power? All the lights are off in the above picture, so clearly the ONT is not receiving power.

The black wire ending at the top is coming from the street. Nothing is plugged in outside; the wires coming from the TNI enter the house at various points, most close to the box with the exception of a couple that appear to be telephone or TV/Internet.

I did flip all the breakers off and on with the exception of the furnace and AC and doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I am attaching a couple more pictures of the inside box in the next post showing the battery compartment and the appearance with the battery connected (the system light is yellow and the battery light is red when the battery is connected).

0 Likes
dc_maf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

More pictures of battery backup unit.

imageBattery compartment

imageBattery connected. Lights yellow/red, unit is beeping

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The power cord should be on attached to the BBU, not directly to the Ont.  It needs to be plugged in some where.  In the first pictues of the Batttery, where does the beige (gray?) go. 

0 Likes