Does speed get slower with more people?
susb83831

Hi,

I don't own Fios...yet. A salesman claimed that with Comcast, the wifi speed gets slower the more people get on, but with Fios, it doesn't.

Is that true?

I never noticed a slow speed with Comcast before now. But lately any time after 9, pages take 15 seconds to load and I'm about to throw my computer out the window. If Fios really is fast all the time, I'd consider switching.

Any comments from existing customers?

TIA.

0 Likes
Re: Does speed get slower with more people?
jonjones1
Legend

@susb8383 wrote:

Hi,

I don't own Fios...yet. A salesman claimed that with Comcast, the wifi speed gets slower the more people get on, but with Fios, it doesn't.

Is that true?

I never noticed a slow speed with Comcast before now. But lately any time after 9, pages take 15 seconds to load and I'm about to throw my computer out the window. If Fios really is fast all the time, I'd consider switching.

TIA.

The short version is all services slow down for varied reasons. A dedicated line all to your self is not going to happen. However with Fios they reroute the bottleneck via those thin fiber optic cables even if some become damaged and this is done so fast that unlike coaxial you won't even notice.

the service in my home has been very fast and stable. However net congestion or downed hops to reach sites after the fiber to the home can also slow down your service. Don't ever believe sales people. They need your sale to make their income.

lies, half truths, slight of hand tricks via showing you what you expect to see and not any of their gotchas. You must be thoroughly informed.

And yes Fios is asymmetrical speed normally the same for uploads/download which at present cable cannot match.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@susb8383 wrote:

Hi,

Is that true?

TIA.

Oops I forgot. Wifi has nothing to do with what the sales person stated.

your wifi in your home is via your own network connection and by it being 2.4 Ghz. Or 5 Ghz. And the the number of devices connected to it. The more devices on your home network may and will reduce the speed. But I have 24 devices on my network many use wifi and the speed is good for what we use.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Main difference between FIOS and other cable providers is that with FIOS you have a dedicate channel from your house to central point.

WIth cable, you all share the local connection.

But once you hit the common point, Internet access is shared by all.