Does the ONT run a DHCP server? Or, a Fios + Google WiFi + Tivo setup question.
jnewman9838
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am trying to debug a problem where I appear to have two different active DHCP servers on my network.  My setup:

ONT -> (ethernet) -> Google WiFi -> (ethernet) -> MI424WR -> (coax) -> several tivos

So I have Google WiFi as the primary router and MI424WR configured as a bridge onto the MoCA network.  I have configured the MI424WR to disable DHCP, disable WiFi, disable WAN side network and coax.  I have also provided it a static IP on the Google WiFi subnet (192.168.86.0/24).  Essentially I just want it to bridge the MoCA network onto the Google WiFi controlled network.  The TiVOs are configured to join the MoCA network.

If I disable the MI424WR, the the Google WiFi network works correctly -- multiple devices can connect via WiFi or LAN ports, receive IP addresses (on the 192.168.86.0/24 subnet) and access the Internet.  

When I enable the MI424WR, something responds to DHCP requests on any of the mediums (ethernet, WiFi, MoCA) with a 192.168.1.0/24 address.  Note that Google WiFi's DHCP server is only on 192.168.86.0/24.  I've triple checked the MI424WR to confirm DHCP is disabled on it.  It seems either those DHCP responses are coming from something on the MoCA network.

So my long winded question: does the ONT run a DHCP server?  I don't have a solid understanding of how MoCA work, but my understanding is the MoCA network is "created" by the ONT.  Does that include allocating IP addresses?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does the ONT run a DHCP server? Or, a Fios + Google WiFi + Tivo setup question.
jnewman9838
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nevermind, I figured it out.  I still had G1100 connected to the MoCA network.  It was the DHCP server.

Shouldn't try to do this stuff late at night....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Does the ONT run a DHCP server? Or, a Fios + Google WiFi + Tivo setup question.
jnewman9838
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nevermind, I figured it out.  I still had G1100 connected to the MoCA network.  It was the DHCP server.

Shouldn't try to do this stuff late at night....

0 Likes